SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do screen readers read and/or see inside IE Conditional Comments?

Do screen readers read and/or see inside IE Conditional Comments? And that pretty much sums up my question. Thanks!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screen readers are applications that run on top of other applications (like browsers). They don't read the HTML themselves, but access it via the browser's DOM tree. So if you run a screen reader on top of IE, it will see what IE has parsed, including the stuff in conditional comments. If you run a screen reader on top of Firefox, it won't.

An aural browser (they exist, but aren't very common, and are probably used more by, e.g., dyslexics than by blind users) is different. It reads and parses the HTML and renders it as synthetic speech (and often visually, too). In this case it depends on what HTML parser the aural browser uses, but it's not likely that it'll parse conditional comments.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning,

Ohh bummer! Because I have (or now rather had) a good alternative to using swfObject. After a lot of research and testing I have found that IE does not show the alt content inside the object tag. But using the code below it does! It's valid and shows perfect in all browsers. But as you say, screen readers will read it twice in IE.

So in one hand you have the swfObject and your flash will only show if JS is enabled - excludes 5% or so from seeing your flash. In the other hand you have the code below which excludes no one - but screen readers will read the alt content twice. Hmmm... Still a good alternative though I think.

Code:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" 
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,68,0">
    <param name="movie" value="equalizer.swf">
    <param name=wmode value=transparent> 
    <!--[if IE ]>
    <p>Alt Content</p>
    <![endif]-->
    <!--[if !IE]> <-->
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="equalizer.swf">
    <param name="pluginurl" value="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    <param name=wmode value=transparent>
    <p>Alt Content</p>
    </object>
    <!--> <![endif]-->
    </object>

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope I was wrong - I was given the wrong info somewhere else. The code given here at swfObject (Static Publishing) does show alt content in IE. Anyone know why swfObject says to still include their JS in the head if your only using the static method? What is it doing? It's not removing the click to activate...

Here is the code that "does" show alt content in all browsers (including IE).

Code:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="780" height="420">
    <param name="movie" value="myContent.swf">
    <!--[if !IE]>-->
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="myContent.swf" width="780" height="420">
    <!--<![endif]-->
    <p>Alternative content</p>
    <!--[if !IE]>-->
    </object>
    <!--<![endif]-->
    </object>
    Now the only problem is that it still does not show the alt content on my phone - so I still may go with the dynamic publishing method.