User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Microformats and class tags

Hi Folks,

Trying to wrap my brain around the concept of microformats. I have "googled" microformats and microformat tutorials. I just want to confirm that my basic understanding is correct.

Microformats promote the use of standard class tags in items like resumes and calendars. So, I would use the tag "org" for organization, but I could still define the appearance of "org" in my CSS.

Since I do not yet do programming or mashups or any Web 2.0 -- I am still trying to wrap my brain around the concepts (I know HTML and CSS, and am still working on XML), I would appreciate explanations or examples of the use/benefits of microformats.

Basically, I would like to know if microformats are worth getting to know?

When I started, CSS was a new concept that was so badly implemented on many sites that I swore I would never use it. Now, I don't know how to do a site without a style sheet and cringe at font tags.

Thanks.

VRM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, I would like to know if microformats are worth getting to know?
    Once you have great HTML & CSS, hardcore optimised images, and can make sites accessible for all types on visitors, then look at it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi,

... if microformats are something I should keep in mind as I am coding or updating sites. Understanding how they contribute to a better site or a better web community would help.

The sites I have designed usually pass validation (both code and accessibility). I am just behind in the latest trends. In fact, one of the reasons I haven't learned Flash yet, is at the time I got into the web thing, I couldn't find information on how to make Flash accessible consistently. I know that Flash has grown, but I still find that clean HTML (in spite of IE) and a good CSS makes for a compatible and accessible site.

Thanks to Sitepoint and an accessibility forum, I get the help I need. I know that no one can know everything. I just want to know those tools that will make my sites and the web better.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Microformats, most of them are a waste of bytes.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microformats doesn't have much practical use today, and it is doubtful that they will in any near future. From my point of view, the advantage is not added semantics, but rather a convenient sub-seperation of contents. This can both be used for styling purposes, and to get a better overview of your own source code.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I just needed an outside perspective and appreciate the responses.