User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Issue with Wordpress!

Hello,

I'm trying to help out a friend make a few changes on her WordPress Blog. This is my first time using WordPress. Well, I downloaded the CSS file made the changes needed and then uploaded it into the correct directory with Filezilla. However, now her blog is not reading the css file at all only the html???

I've double checked that the stylesheet is in the right folder and that it did overwrite the original. I only changed a few numbers in the padding on the theme and add some style to a <hr> tag. So I'm really confused here? Anyone with WordPress experience have an suggestions??

This is the website in question: http://www.leoniephotography.com/

Thanks
    Jodi

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do know that if you modify the CSS using the "Theme Editor" in the site Admin area it works

Don't know why your method wouldn't however.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    newgreen,

Yes, I have gotten on WordPress and was looking at her dashboard for an area to edit the CSS code, she didn't appear to have it. I looked in WordPress FAQ and it appears you need a CSS Upgrade which I assume they will charge you for to be able to edit the CSS. I hopped on WordPress forums and was told well you can do it either through the CSS editor through Wordpress or download the file from the server and change it locally, which I have done. I don't understand why it's not reading the stylesheet at all. Nothing about the url of the stylesheet or html in the document has been changed.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, figured it out, thankfully! I had edited and saved the stylesheet in WordPad which turned it into a Rich Text Document. That put all kinds of backslashes into the coding which made it not function.

Thank You

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquash View Post
    I looked in WordPress FAQ and it appears you need a CSS Upgrade which I assume they will charge you for to be able to edit the CSS.
    No, WP is free. http://wordpress.org/

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sasquatch, never use WordPad or Word to create a Web page or other Web-specific document. Always use a plain text editor, or a text editor specifcially created for the task of working with Web documents. Even Notepad will do the job (just make sure you select "Save As All" from the files option).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newgreen View Post
    Do know that if you modify the CSS using the "Theme Editor" in the site Admin area it works
    Except that this requires that all files you might want to modify be writable, and that becomes a security issue.

Of the WP accounts we host, the ones that have been hacked have almost always been those using the built-in theme editor. When we changed the permissions on the clients' files and instructed them on how to edit offline, the hacks stopped.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    No, WP is free. http://wordpress.org/
    It's free, unless you want to edit the CSS or use your own domain, then there are minimal charges. That is, if it's a wordpress.com site. You're right that the download is free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wordpress.org is free and may download. It's take some times to setup. This is easy process but after one year and more it may hack and account may disable. I have faced this problem.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by egracecreative View Post
    It's free, unless you want to edit the CSS or use your own domain, then there are minimal charges. That is, if it's a wordpress.com site. You're right that the download is free.
    Word press is free to download to your own domain. There is no charge whatsoever.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown