Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Html5

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    And you stil get the gap with the half-Javva'd browsers-- those who can support some javascripts but not all of them, or behind a selectively-blocking firewall-- so now, no JS, no noscript-- double screwed.
    No. If the noscript tag just allows an extra stylesheet to automatically hide all the content that is there for when JavaScript is not supported and you then have JavaScript code that sets everything exactly the same way based on whether or not the essential features are supported then the only difference is that the "to be hidden" content doesn't show briefly when the page first loads because the main stylesheet has it hidden, the noscript stylesheet makes it visible for those where the browser genuinely doesn't have JavaScript enabled, and the JavaScript will make the appropriate parts visible for when required features are not supported. The only people who will miss out are those whose firewall strips out the JavaScript where the browser thinks that it is supported except that there isn't any. If you need to support those visitors you can't use noscript at all anyway which is no different from deprecating the tag completely rather than moving it from the body to the head (which were the two options I suggested).

Being able to use the tag in the head but not the body (rather than the other way around as is now the case) will still not allow you to fix the page to work properly when the firewall strips out the JavaScript but it would make being able to handle every situation except that one a lot simpler.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltZ View Post
    It's only valid in <body> yes, but putting it in <head> with a meta refresh works just as good. Many people do it too, though I hate it not validating.
    It's valid in head in HTML5.

I recently learned the headers attribute was being dropped.
    It was never dropped and it's in the spec: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps...ttr-td-headers

Now, I'm pretty sure it's my poor table-writing skills, but I've used headers and will continue to so long as I need it. If HTML5 will force me to take a table and double its size just to get away with using scope (which I use most of the time), then I simply cannot use it (if the draft stays this way until spec).
    Actually, once UAs implement the algorithm to associate header cells with data cells, you can most probably get away with using neither scope nor headers.

I thought the whole point of HTML5 was to make all browsers deal with the inevitable illegal or typo'd stuff in the same way. I feel that's kinda different from just letting some stuff stay in. Let <font> tags be an error who are handled the same way from browser to browser just as they are deprecated now in HTML4 yet all browsers still honour it.
    <font> is an error in HTML5... Though browsers will support it.
    Simon Pieters

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad support for it will be in HTML5, I guess the draft isn't all that bad .
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zcorpan
    It was never dropped and it's in the spec: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps...ttr-td-headers
    Ah, that's October 2008. Glad to see it in there. Nobudday takes mah tewlz without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Carlson
    The HTML 5 working group is indeed questioning the usefulness of marking up id/headers in complex tables. In fact the headers attribute is not currently in the HTML 5 specification.
    So it's good to see it back. It wasn't there whenever it was that I was struggling with the issue.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is plenty of time over the next 10 or so years for the HTML5 specs to be fixed to make sure those tags that are required are in and those that should be disposed of are out. By then most browsers will probably have dropped support for many useless tags such as font anyway.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    By then most browsers will probably have dropped support for many useless tags such as font anyway.
    I doubt that very much. Why would they remove something that's already built and works properly? Especially if it means millions of pages won't render as intended?

I do hope there'll be a change of direction within the HTML5 working group, though, away from the current policy of legalising tag soup. To paraphrase Terry Pratchett, HTML5 is to semantics and accessibility what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playground Association.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lawlz, isn't that because they are worried about "authors"? Or "Authoring software" like Dreamweaver? I understand the reasoning, sortof, but it sounds like changing the French language so that all the horrible grammar mistakes newbies like me make speaking and writing it are made ok. So I can continue to mangle French, instead of forcing me to do it right. Web authoring I think should be the same-- if you're an author and you can't HTML, then you hire someone to do it for you-- just like if I want my book translated into French, I'll hire a translator, the professional whose job it is to make sure my book follows the rules, to the benefit of ALL readers.

Again, my uninformed opinion. I have a lot of those on teh InterTubes.