SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graphic design Question???

I am going to learn about graphic design. Could you share with me some useful references?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe's Classroom in a Book is one of the best learning tools I've ever seen...

SitePoint Member teachtutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trasdin View Post
    I am going to learn about graphic design. Could you share with me some useful references?
    i would go with any Adobe`s tips and tricks books, i have one home, really thick with a dvd and used it for years. Go and search on amazon.com for it. For eg. The Photoshop Wow Book: Tips, Tricks, & Techniques for Adobe Photoshop : Windows/Book and Disk by Linnea Dayton and Jack Davis.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you want to get out of your learning as to what I'd recommend.

If you are interested in Graphic Design, then you should read and research material such as Grids, Typography, Colour etc etc...

If you want to learn how to create graphics for the web, then books like the one mentioned above are ok for that - but they are not mind-blowing i'm afriad.

Software has nothing to do with Graphic Design, it's merely a tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's best to have a video tutorial so that you can follow...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WOW books, as teachtutorials mentioned are very good. They teach certain techniques and tricks with [almost] step by step tutorials. You'll learn different, or better, ways of getting certain things done.

I mentioned the Classroom in a Book books. They're more focused on learning the programs themselves (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc). These books will teach you which tools do what. The books teach from square one, so that someone that has never touched these applications can learn them.

It really depends where you're starting from. If you already have some experience with these applications, and you already know what each tool does, then definitely go with he WOW books. If you've never used the apps before I'd suggest going with the Classroom in a Book.

Or - you can always go online and find tutorials for free. Video tutorials, as mentioned are always helpful...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to deviant art.com. there are many tutorials and resources there.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing thatll help is REALLY looking at magazines.. not just reading them but seeing how they're laid out, the types of fonts they use and where. The types of things like do for effects.

Magazines are usually laid out alot like modern websites (because most websites mimic them, intentionally or not)

as with just graphic design, I'm a firm believer in regular tutorials off the web. I've read a few books, seen a few photoshop dvd's. They're not anything special and they have nothing over a good quality web tutorial.

Open up Photoshop when you're bored, get to know the tools. learn the pen tool and master it, Because you'll use it more than you think. It's my personal opinion that its the most valuable tool in photoshop.

But if you read 100+ Web tutorials on photoshop, you WILL learn the tools in the process of doing them. then when u start doing things on you're own, you'll know what tool you will need to grab and how to use it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trasdin View Post
    I usually use google for "photoshop tutorials"... then I can choose any graphic design tutorial that I want to apply. Books and magazines also are good ones.. But I still buy some photoshop script to automate my work..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact, in Photoshop it usually takes pretty much time to achieve something you have never done before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange how most replies here point to tech books for help in graphic design, as opposed to things on design theory, aesthetics, composition, color, etc. Seems the stereotype of designers being defined by the software they use is still alive and well.

First and foremost I'd recommend taking some classes or enrolling in a university program. If you aim to become a self-taught designer, you will certainly need some software know-how, but more importantly I'd recommend some books that teach principles of design, theory, and some design strategy reading. Anything by Steven Heller is a good resource. He writes on a variety of design topics, and his stuff generally will give a good mix of history and modern day practice. Jessica Helfand has a great collection of essays on design called "Screen". John Maeda is a brilliant mind in design, and I recommend looking into his work.

Look for authors that interest/inspire you. Design isn't just about learning Photoshop. If you're serious about becoming a graphic designer, you'll need to read more and look at more good design, and not worry so much about learning keyboard shortcuts and filters.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7 View Post
    Strange how most replies here point to tech books for help in graphic design, as opposed to things on design theory, aesthetics, composition, color, etc. Seems the stereotype of designers being defined by the software they use is still alive and well.

First and foremost I'd recommend taking some classes or enrolling in a university program. If you aim to become a self-taught designer, you will certainly need some software know-how, but more importantly I'd recommend some books that teach principles of design, theory, and some design strategy reading. Anything by Steven Heller is a good resource. He writes on a variety of design topics, and his stuff generally will give a good mix of history and modern day practice. Jessica Helfand has a great collection of essays on design called "Screen". John Maeda is a brilliant mind in design, and I recommend looking into his work.

Look for authors that interest/inspire you. Design isn't just about learning Photoshop. If you're serious about becoming a graphic designer, you'll need to read more and look at more good design, and not worry so much about learning keyboard shortcuts and filters.
    Great points here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Universal Principles of Design -
    100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design

Richly illustrated and easy to navigate, it pairs clear explanations of every design concept with visual examples of the concepts applied in practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this site can help www.tutorialized.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go look up tutorials on the subject you are questioning, lets say text effects, and you will get loads of results. These will better your skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about sitepoints own " Principals of beautiful web design - by Jason Baird " ?

It may say web design but has some useful info relevant to all areas of design

Regards
    Dave