SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

develop on apache or iis?

I was wondering which server you prefer to use locally when developing coldfusion applications: iis or apache ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I prefer Apache. But that's just because I'm a biased *nix fanboi.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use IIS because that's what we are currently using in production. Do have a *nix box where I am running Apache but that is for personal/on the side jobs.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use apache on my development machine as part of my development environment...largely because I develop on Linux but also I love being able to set up virtual hosts for each project. Unless you were running windows server on your machine its my understanding that you wouldn't be able to do this with IIS although I believe it may be possible to do this now on vista...don't quote me on that though, I'm a Linux fanboy so what would I know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay View Post
    believe it may be possible to do this now on vista...don't quote me on that though
    Yep your right its possible on Vista now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay View Post
    Unless you were running windows server on your machine its my understanding that you wouldn't be able to do this with IIS although I believe it may be possible to do this now on vista.
    Thats true. I still use xp so I made a script that changes the directory localhost loads from.

The virtual hosts thing sounds interesting. I have an old laptop is soon to be reconfigured.. I think I am going to play around with that one and see if I can get something like that going on it. Not personally interested in vista, so I guess its time to see if I can get a linux based developing environment configured.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsolas View Post
    The virtual hosts thing sounds interesting. I have an old laptop is soon to be reconfigured.. I think I am going to play around with that one and see if I can get something like that going on it. Not personally interested in vista, so I guess its time to see if I can get a linux based developing environment configured.
    Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't run apache on windows if it's windows you develop on and deploy to. Might be more familiar than figuring out "the Linux way"