SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: about wordpress

  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast Alzbeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy about wordpress

    anyoone knows that if you are subscribing to wordpress blog for free you can't put your adsense to be visible?

  2. #2
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's why everyone recommends to get your own hosting and a copy of WordPress from www.wordpress.org (HostGator.com is often recommended as a good hosting provider).

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to use WordPress for free, with adsense, then you will need to either find a free WordPress blog host which allows that (there probably aren't any though) or follow Dan's advice above, but instead of using paid hosting, get a free host instead.

    Freehostia.com seems to offer decent free hosting, but as with everything in life, you get what you pay for and can expect your site to run a little slow and probably have more downtime than on a paid host.

  4. #4
    got beer? jabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in my car
    Posts
    736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^how long do those free hosting give you their free services usually?

  5. #5
    SitePoint Zealot Smart-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    ^^how long do those free hosting give you their free services usually?
    There is no limit to the free hosting but most of the free hosts will display their ads in your page. Is it acceptable to you?

  6. #6
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    ^^how long do those free hosting give you their free services usually?
    I've had an account with freehostia.com for about two years and it runs just as well now as it did when I first used it.

    Having said that, it has always been a bit slow (about half the speed of my shared hostgator.com account) and the site is down fairly regularly. But it's quite reasonable considering the price. As long as you aren't reliant on fast page downloads and aren't too bothered by the occasional down time, then I can't see any reason not to use it. I assume that as soon as you start using up resources that they'll kick you off it though. I don't use much traffic on my freehostia account so that hasn't been a problem for me. If you are expecting even mediumish levels of traffic then you should definitely not consider freehostia.

    There are other free hosts around too, but I haven't come across any apart from freehostia which have been around for a decent amount of time.

    Note: Freehostia does NOT place ads on your site. It's literally free, no strings attached (apart from sub-par service).

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some info. about freehostia.com's free hosting service ... http://freehostia.com/free_hosting.html

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I've had an account with freehostia.com for about two years and it runs just as well now as it did when I first used it.

    Having said that, it has always been a bit slow (about half the speed of my shared hostgator.com account) and the site is down fairly regularly. But it's quite reasonable considering the price. As long as you aren't reliant on fast page downloads and aren't too bothered by the occasional down time, then I can't see any reason not to use it. I assume that as soon as you start using up resources that they'll kick you off it though. I don't use much traffic on my freehostia account so that hasn't been a problem for me. If you are expecting even mediumish levels of traffic then you should definitely not consider freehostia.

    There are other free hosts around too, but I haven't come across any apart from freehostia which have been around for a decent amount of time.

    Note: Freehostia does NOT place ads on your site. It's literally free, no strings attached (apart from sub-par service).

    Thanks for your advice, Im new to WP

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast Denniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can choose to use blogger ? They are free and they support google ads obviously.

  10. #10
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denniz View Post
    Or you can choose to use blogger ? They are free and they support google ads obviously.
    And is also a haven for spammers (and so called SEO Gurus) last I checked. As an end-user, I make an end-run around any one with a Blogger blog. Period.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Albania
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot add Adsense on Wordpress.com blogs. If you are familiar with Wordpress.org then it might be better for you to install a blog on your own server so you make sure you fully control your site!

  12. #12
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    a haven for .... so called SEO Gurus
    Very true

  13. #13
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true, I think setup one blog with your own host and domain is quite really simple

  14. #14
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move to wordpress.org its much better, you are in full control.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Enthusiast alysha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy your own domain and hosting then set up wordpress. I hate free stuff theres always a limitation.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •