SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marketing Advice… I Need some…

Hello fellow webmaster and friends…

I could use some friendly advice and or suggestions with our new site. I have recently built a site that appeals to the Beauty and Anti-aging market. Our site is doing ok with traffic at the moment as our only means of traffic mostly comes from advertising that we do in many magazines around the world. We have a very specific market that mostly attracts the older female.

We are looking to increase traffic to the site and since I’m new to this marking stuff I could use some advice on what I can do. I have already signed up on the Google Adwords program but really do not see many sales from this. Possibly I would see more if I spent the suggested daily budget of $1,500 a day for the few ads we run. I’m scared to do this though since we spend $200 a day and don’t see much in sales as it is.

So does anyone have any helpful ideas, whether it cost money or is free I am interested. Our goal is to reach an average of 50 to 75 orders a day averaging around $50 each in sales.

We are about to start a mailing list and add a Tell a Friend link to all the products so that people can send there friends an html or text e-mail of a product that their friend might be interested in. I’m hoping this will help with visits to the site. Also I have a forum about to go live once all the bugs are worked out of the site.

Any ideas, suggestion or advice is welcome.
    Last edited by BubbaGump; Apr 22, 2002 at 17:08.
    Neal Bailey..........| Email|ICQ 54338088
    Biz Websites .......| Lone Star Classics - Classic Cobra Replicas
    Personal Sites .....| Advanced GraF/X | Xtreme-OZ
    Artwork & Photos | Advanced GraF/X - Artwork

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all: A daily budget of 1.500$ is not too bad

Let's see what you could do:

1. Use other PayPerClick (PPC) services (Overture). As you didn't see much results with Google AdWords, this most likely will be a waste of time and money.

2. Run ads in targeted newsletters, e.g. a "Beautiful women over 50" newsletter. You could go to topica.com or other services and see if you find nice newsletters. Perhaps the owner is willing to be compensated with goods

3. Start a research project, like "We give a month supply to 100 women. Tell us how this affects your life." Write nice articles about this and send them to newsletters/ezines/..

4. Increase your link popularity. You're already doing a very good job with being listed at Yahoo & Dmoz.

Hope that helps,

Markus

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo Bubba,

where do you get that amount of money? If you spend 200 dollars on ads, take a look at the site of the guy that posted the thread on ' marketing suggestions ', If I recall correctly it's Bruno Delapier ( or something like that lol ), maybe you can PM him. He wrote a pretty impressive reply to a guy with the same problem you have.

I checked out his site and he only charges 100 bucks for a full blown website strategy report with promotional and revenue stuff ideas. I don't make any money with the internet ( yet )but my first hundred dollars I'm spending on promotion will go to that website report, that's for sure.
    SPACER
    "Oink?"
    Due to lack of interest tomorrow has been cancelled...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely wanted to consider advertising with:

1. Overture
    2. Findwhat
    3. Targeted Beauty E-zines/Newletters
    4. Targeted Magazines like Redbook etc.

If you work with Overture and bid high enough to be in the top 3 on a targeted keyword, like "beauty products", your site will be in the top 3 on Yahoo, MSN, and AOL!
    FREE home-based job opportunity. Company has
    been in business for 15+ years and is a member of
    the BBB. Check it out at SimpleCash.biz

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight marketing - buying of non-targetted "eyes" or whatever you call it is simply put the most useless form of marketing in existance. Judging the quality of your "eyes" is what you should be looking at. If you just make a blanket statement - "I want to increase hits" isnt really what you want.

What you want is a higher sales/visitor ratio.

Young/Middle aged male eyes probably are of little use to your site...right?

So your ideal marketing "scenario" would in effect bring in as many target audience "eyes" as possible.

So who is your target?
    In my opinion: Middle aged and post menopausal women. That is the audience im sure gives you the most return.

So, how do you target those people?

Your first step before drawing them to your site is to bring them back to your site - if you have this worked out before hand your visitors will tend to grow naturally over time due to viral marketing.

Ok what keeps people coming back to to any website?
    - Original content
    - Information
    - Changing information
    - Community

Now what works for your particular site?

Its pretty easy to get original content in the form of syndicated articles or even original articles about your subject matter.

Information - people love information - as much information as you can find - statistics, pricing anything someone in your target audience will want to know - doesnt even have to be directly beauty/anti-aging

Changing information - keep adding stuff plain and simple

Community - Probably the most powerful method to retain visitors is to make them feel as if they belong to a true "community" - message boards, mailing lists - maybe get into some offline events.

Now that you have a method to keep people coming back you can point yourself to drawing in original visitors.

I am a huge fan of offline advertising to draw an audience to a website so I will probably emphasize that.

Anyway - The key is to target websites that already target your audience but are not in direct competition.

So where do you find middle aged and post menopausal women online?
    Parenting sites (usually have predefined strong community)
    Over 50 sites (probably the fastest growing online community online
    Gardening Sites

- thats just a sample as Im not doing a professional level marketing strategy.

Anyway - where do you get that same target audience offline?
    parenting magazines, over 50 magazines, Martha stewart type magazines, O, etc etc....

Basically your taking your target audience and applying that across online and offline medium.

OK - now viral marketing -
    The surest and most effective method of advertising your business (either online or off) is to have your visitors/clients do it for you. Easy right?

Online viral marketing ive already covered under community however there is an even stronger offline viral marketing audience that is far more powerful than any online community.

The funny thing is alot of forms of offline viral marketing are actually quite inexpensive.

Here are some ideas:
    Sponsor local events that target your audience (breast cancer walks, family picnics.. etc - these can be done anywhere in the country at any time.

Have "giveaways" - everyone seems to love "makeovers"

Create group functions - tupper ware parties... nuf said

- basically get out into your target community and started contributing to it - that will give you such a greater return over google ad words it wont even be funny.

OK thats my advice for now -
    The basics -
    Know your audience,
    Know where to find them offline and online
    Create a community
    Maintain your community

couldnt be easier ;-)
    myNovaScotia.Net
    Nova Scotia Communities online
    http://www.mynovascotia.net

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invest in some search engine optimization, especially with regards to link popularity. Also nothing sells something more than an article written about it. Content also helps with SEO.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Thanks Spacer for the confidence you have in my capabilities...I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding SEO/SEM

I would suggest that you consider going with a professional and dedicated Search Engine Optimization company to manage your SEO/SEM strategy. Search Engine Marketing/Optimization can be a very complicated matter.

A rule of thumb: Focus on quality not quantity - I agree with Bruno Delepierre who on his website states:

"Quality traffic is pure gold".

It's not the clicks that matters - it's the no. of conversions (sales or no-sales) that counts.

You can find a pretty good searchable index on http://www.semlist.com.

I also "know" of another list but I can't remember the specific URL. I'll get back to you on that one - if you are interested?

IMPORTANT -->
    Remember always to track the Return On Investment (ROI) of your marketing investment - ROI is the only valuable benchmark to evaluate how your direct marketing investment is performing.
    :: TraceWorks.com - http://www.traceworks.com - the professional SEO tool

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an idea....

If your target audience is older women, find one of those sites that comes up with all that foo foo lovey chain emails and see if they'll place a small advertisement at the bottom of the message they send out.

Then when all those older ladies start forwarding the message to their friends you have viral marketing going on in your target market and all you have to do is sit back.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me if I repeat some things that were already said... I didn't read through every post.

I see people ask about online marketing all the time for their websites and what I usually find is that online marketing is the only kind of marketing that they are doing. You should be doing all types of advertising and marketing, not just online.

If you've got $1500 per day to spend on marketing you could afford several billboards placed in strategic areas that would bring massive traffic to your site. Or a full-page magazine ad. Or revolving billboard in some malls. Or displays in stores (paid).

There are a million offline ways to promote your online business. You shouldn't disregard online marketing but you shouldn't only use it either. Get a nice balance of online and offline marketing for the best results.

As for online marketing, we've been really happy with FindWhat and Overture... just be sure to use a LOT of key phrases... as many as you can think of... for maximum traffic.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a viral marketing campaign ... create a flash game with a theme catering to your cliente and make it free for download. This should drive traffic!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if this has already been suggested, I didn't see it, you may also want to consider starting an affiliate program where you pay webmasters a small percentage of the sales they generate. That way you are only paying for results and at the very least you're getting your name/product out there in front of your target audience.
    http://www.veggieboards.com - Vegetarian forum.