SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using both would be more accurate... Dreamweaver for the design and handcoding for balance and organized codes...

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver doesn't design though - it's an editor.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard and painfull but infortunatly, Hand Codeing comes second to none, using Editing Programs Like Dreamweaver set you back rather than forwards. I also advise getting HomeSite 5 which is a branch off of Dreamweaver which deals with Raw Code Apposed to Designing and will close elements for you which is useful. Regards

Footylad
    Hosting-Online-Direct.com Great Hosting For All Needs.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by footylad View Post
    using Editing Programs Like Dreamweaver set you back rather than forwards. Footylad
    Sorry, don't agree -
    using DW makes my workflow much better and certainly makes me more productive.. the file management system can't be beat!
    I work in code view, not design view by the way....

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    Sorry, don't agree -
    using DW makes my workflow much better and certainly makes me more productive.. the file management system can't be beat!
    I work in code view, not design view by the way....

Nadia
    Hummn maybe, i guess its to everyones personal taste like some people like to do Graphics in Photoshop some in Fireworks. As i say in my own dealings i have found hand codeing much better and far more productive, or maybe i can't use dreamweaver?? , but i can see your point. Regards

Footylad
    Hosting-Online-Direct.com Great Hosting For All Needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To decide whether to use DW or hand code really depends one what you expect to achieve in the short and long term. If you want to really understand what you are doing and how each element is effected then although it is slower, I found hand coding much better.

I'm almost entirely self taught and have been in the industry for nearly 8 years. When I began I used both. I'd try hard to get something to work using hand coding but if I couldn't get the desired effect, I'd use DW. I'd also, time permitting, go back into the generated code and try to strip out the redundant parts and this really gave me a good idea what was really required, what wasn't and what each bit did.

Any time I learn a new language, I always try to use this approach. Learn the basics by hand if at all possible. If it doesn't work, use a tool but try to dismantle what it throws out.

If on the other hand you're not bothered about how the code reads and are happier just creating a nice looking website with the minimum of effort, DW will do that for you.

Good luck,
    D

PS I recently had a 'discussion' with our legal dept about why it was going to take me more than 5 minutes to HTMLise a 450 line document. Their suggestion was to open in MS Word and save as HTML. To prove a point I did. Before the 450 lines had even started there was over 1600 lines of redundant, generated code! Good old MS!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can be argued from both sides. I prefer a IDE personnaly.

CSS HTML - i use Dreamweaver CS3
    PHP - php Designer 2008

layout - photoshop
    logo - illustrator
    word document - for blue print