SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation TheSecondWeb and MrLeN - In Defense of my Name and Reputation - The TRUTH!

    This is a post that I should probably just not make. I mean -- it would be easier if I decided to just say nothing. However, I am going to risk being falsely accused of being a part of some sort of some big spam conspiracy; in hopes that if I pull everything out into the light, the majority of people will actually believe me -- making this post worth while. Those few people who want to accuse me can't accuse me if I've already laid everything out on the table. The accusations will become redundant. It is only a minority of people accusing me around the forums I am a member of, but there's a trend developing where they're planting their accusations into more and more of my threads (as words gets around). If I don't say something, I can see it's all going to get out of hand -- and I have not spammed anyone or participated in any spam campaigns, so it would be unfair if these few people eventually succeed in making me out to be a royal spammer. Basically, I just can't stand being falsely accused of "anything" -- as I am sure most other people don't. So please take that into account as you read what I have to say.

    Firstly (this has to be said), I am an AVID fan of Internet Marketing methods; even borderline obsessed with it. I am particularly interested in overnight success stories. I am also personally, constantly creating new websites, trying to see if they'll take off with only a small shove -- without any real promotion at all, besides a couple of safelist mailouts and a forum post or two. I love the idea of Viral sites. I have not quite succeeded in constructing an idea that took off all by itself -- without the need for sustained promotion, but I continue trying to make such sites; and I WILL continue to make such sites until I finally learn the art and can repeat it It's a hobby of mine (of sorts). I wont say I am any good at it, but then again I don't think 99.9% of people are. It is VERY hard to create such a site - I am sure you will agree. At "best", the traffic I have been able to achieve is to build a site that "almost" perpetually retains the traffic it receives, according to what ever initial marketing efforts I gave the site; (the traffic) declining at about 5% each week until it finally falls flat on its face. One such site is in my signature (zeriouz). I guess I am trying to build an Internet version of perpetual motion. But without going on all day about it, suffice to say, I am a major fan of Viral marketing and Viral ideas. That need to be understood before I continue.

    So the weeks ago, I came across a website called "thesecondweb". I am sure most of you who read this will remember this post, and I am sure that some of you reading now have seen the very same post on other forums -- as this is a small world. From time to time (not all the time), if I get really excited about something, I go through all the forums I am a member of - and I will make a post there so that I can start getting responses tight away. I don't like sitting here waiting half an hour between responses. I like the action, so that is why I posted about thesecondweb all over the Internet. I didn't just post in forums, but I researched what other people were saying about thesecondweb, and began responding to people's opinions on OTHER websites that I am not even a member of, such as Yahoo! Answers, various blogs. Etc. All the posts I made was sincere. All the involvement I had with this website was a genuine interest in the idea. I recognize thesecondweb as being a great idea, and I got excited about it. That's the truth.

    However, a handful of people realized that I was posting all about this on various locations. Then some accusations started. Some people were insisting that I had copied the post from another forum , because they saw it somewhere else and wanted me to provide the "source". Some people made blunt one line responses, insisting that I should not spam my website there. One forum even pulled my posts about the site, more than once - even though I explained (more than once) that I have no association with the site, no association with the founder of the site, or any financial or vested interest in the site whatsoever. However, this was not believed, and I was pulled into a support ticket system and "interrogated". I got upset with the interrogation by "three" forum staff members, who flat out accused me of spamming and would not back down - no matter what I said or how I explained it. I defeated their accusations against breaking their "rules", and they had not a leg to stand on - so finally resorted to making up a new rule e specially for me: "You can talk about Julian's site here". Of course, after being put through all that and then being treated like a spammer (which I categorically deny), I blew a major circuit (admittedly, I really lost the plot with those people) - and I am now banned from that website: "WHT" , which I am FURIOUS about! I am worse than that - I am ropable, because I was a member there for MANY years! ..and I was falsely accused of things "constantly", which is all the more reason I blew a fuse. I just had enough of being victimized, accused, having threads deleted, signatures edited -- usually on some false or made up grounds; and there's never any way to fix it. At WHT you just get "told" you're a liar -- and you're expected to sit there and admit it. Do that to someone one to many times, and you get a reaction.

    Now, all of the sudden, threads which were running perfectly fine - free of accusations are slowly turning the other way. I wonder if there's a reason for that? I wonder if prominent people haven't decided to interject on other forums to promote their belief that I am spamming and have my threads pulled down on other forums as well, all driven by the incorrect belief that:"they are right" -- and I am spamming? Well I have to make this post, because when what I have to say comes to light, there's going to be flurries of: "A-Ha!!" - "See! SPAMMER!" - "We were right all along!" - "MrLeN you are one big spammer!" ETC ETC.

    So here's the deal. I am saying this because I want everything out in the open. I am telling the truth, exactly as it happened. I am guilty of no lies and no "spam conspiracies". I absolutely had NO association with thesecondweb at the time I made all those posts. But..

    I recently got into a discussion with Julian (the creator of thesecondweb), and because I have such an interest in Viral websites - I offered to run a highlights blog for him, because I feel that thesecondweb would do very well to have such a section. Julian had seen all the posts I had made all over the Internet, and all the praise that I gave his website -- so he was extremely receptive toward my offer -- and he accepted. So I have to tell you that although I DID NOT have any interest in thesecondweb, I do now. I am making a public announcement on all of the forums I made the initial post at, because I know that when it comes to light that I have become thesecondweb Highlights Administrator, it could very well look REALLY bad after I made all of these posts. Even "REALLY" - "REALLY" bad (x 100). But I swear, I had no association with Julian when I made those initial posts - and I just can't BARE the thought that anyone will be able to say "See! He's a spammer" .. and get away with it, making me out to be a big liar. I am not a liar and when I am accused of being one I don't handle it very well. All my patience goes out the window -- and it's "on". Someone who goes out of their way to be honest in life gets extremely and profusely offended when being accused of lying -- because although honestly is the best policy, it is a higher road to take. Honest people really to have to take more of a beating in life (it's true), so when I have to take the beating for being a liar as well (when I am not); where do I win? This is why I get so angry when I am accused of lying. Just as it is hard to make this post -- I know it could backfire (I am aware).. but it is the truth, and I am going to stick with the truth and even declare the truth! This post contains not one lie. Not one fabrication. Not one twisted statement. There is no conspiracy here.

    So I have to state, and I am sincerely speaking out of nothing but genuine honestly. I absolutely did not have any association with thesecondweb in any way shape or form. If ANYONE makes ANY posts, ANYWHERE stating something to the contrary, please 1). Don't believe them and 2). Direct them to this thread and tell them that you believe me (assuming that you "do" believe me), which I sincerely hope you do. I am not lying, I am not a spammer. I just got excited about (and still am excited about) thesecondweb at the very start because I am a big fan of such websites and such ideas. I have enough experience trying to create such sites to recognize when one is taking off. I could see that thesecondweb was a good idea and that it was taking off, because I looked at the Alexa rankings and searched for what people were saying online from the very start. Also, there is no other twist or information that I am omitting. ie: Don't believe I am guilty of "something", but have found a way to twist my words around into some sort of damage control. I am guilty of nothing. All the posts I made were mate "utterly" out of a genuine interest in thesecondweb and a sincere admiration for the idea.

    I can't say more than that. I will not argue with anyone that wants to claim anything different. No accusations can me proven. Therefore, this is my official exit to entertaining any such talk.

    Thanks for reading. I hope you will understand.

    God is my witness!

    --

    P.S. In anticipation of those that still won't believe me: This is all I have to say -- end of story. Get over it.

  2. #2
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,572
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm glad you got that off your chest.

    (TBH I didn't read it... there are too many words)

  3. #3
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Well, I'm glad you got that off your chest.

    (TBH I didn't read it... there are too many words)
    The short version is:

    - I got excited about thesecondweb
    - Posted about it all over the Internet
    - Some people accused me of having something to do with thesecondweb
    - I didn't
    - I am defending myself against those claims

  4. #4
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MrLeN, I shouldn't worry too much about what other people say.

    You might want to re-think ways in which you can share your enthusiasms however, through a personal blog, twitter etc. Even links in your sig.

    I think the problem arose out of the fact you posted the same thing on multiple forums, which generally might seem like a reasonable thing to do, however a more personalised approach might have been better for each. No one likes duplicate content

    Lastly, this is general chat so I'm not trying to discourage you from posting interesting things here in future, nor am I one of those looking to 'accuse' you of anything. I'm just offering these points just to help you see the other side of the argument. I certainly don't think you're a spammer, and I doubt anyone of sound mind does either.


  5. #5
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    MrLeN, I shouldn't worry too much about what other people say.

    You might want to re-think ways in which you can share your enthusiasms however, through a personal blog, twitter etc. Even links in your sig.

    I think the problem arose out of the fact you posted the same thing on multiple forums, which generally might seem like a reasonable thing to do, however a more personalized approach might have been better for each. No one likes duplicate content

    Lastly, this is general chat so I'm not trying to discourage you from posting interesting things here in future, nor am I one of those looking to 'accuse' you of anything. I'm just offering these points just to help you see the other side of the argument. I certainly don't think you're a spammer, and I doubt anyone of sound mind does either.

    Yeah but it is personalized, because:

    1). I do go back to each forum and post totally new answers. I sincerely read all responses.

    2). People from one forum generally don't go to the other forum, so I get more discussion.

    3). It saves me from having to wait 1/2 an hour between responses. I can just sit here replying away.

    I don't always post on many forums, but if there's something that I am really interested in -- I do.

    If I was posting about one of my OWN websites -- Sure, I agree. That would be spam. But there's nothing wrong with posting the same thread on multiple forums if you re a contributing member and if you follow up each response and give personalized answers.

    I have done the same thing MANY times before, except I didn't mention a website. No one said "boo".

    I really don't think there's anything wrong with making the same post on many forums, just as long as they re genuine posts which you follow up on -- and I do! Go through all the forums I posted this at. You will see genuine, unique and personalized responses to all of them.

    Should we stop RSS feeds, because the same information is being displayed on many sites? Maybe we should close down Google news too? All that is - is a list of all the articles that are already online.

    There's nothing wrong with syndicating a post, just as long as you genuinely respond to each one -- which I always do-- in DETAIL too. I can remember all the posts and all the people and all the responses just fine.

  6. #6
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I disagree with you about posting the same thread on different forums, but it's not something I'm anally retentive about Just my own opinion...

    I take your point that you responded to each post with a unique answer, so as before I still don't have a problem with your posts.

  7. #7
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I disagree with you about posting the same thread on different forums, but it's not something I'm anally retentive about Just my own opinion...

    I take your point that you responded to each post with a unique answer, so as before I still don't have a problem with your posts.
    Well, it's only a very small minority that do. So I am just explaining the whole situation before that minority becomes a movement.

    All I did is make posts about a site I liked. I'm guilty of nothing.

  8. #8
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes down to it, this kind of thing just isn't done. People don't just go round evangelising sites, especially on various sites, for no benefit other than to spread the word. Especially when it's not that good of a site anyway (and thats a VERY optomistic view), and alot of us agree.

    So it shouldn't come to suprise when people start getting annoyed at it and deleting posts etc - because it's... it's self promotion. It might not be, but it is in the eyes of others.

    So I apologise on behalf of all of us if we came across too harsh in your eyes - but the fact is, technically, this is against the forum rules, IIRC.

    Off Topic:

    I just love that this thread is now in the top results for searches for this site.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  9. #9
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,862
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you post on a forum giving your opinion of something then that effectively invites others with differing opinions to post their opinions in reply. The least likely thing to happen if you post an opinion on a forum is that those who agree with you will be the only replies (or will even bother to reply at all) - at least not until one or more contrary opinions have been posted.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  10. #10
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    When it comes down to it, this kind of thing just isn't done. People don't just go round evangelising sites, especially on various sites, for no benefit other than to spread the word. Especially when it's not that good of a site anyway (and thats a VERY optomistic view), and alot of us agree.

    So it shouldn't come to suprise when people start getting annoyed at it and deleting posts etc - because it's... it's self promotion. It might not be, but it is in the eyes of others.

    So I apologise on behalf of all of us if we came across too harsh in your eyes - but the fact is, technically, this is against the forum rules, IIRC.

    Off Topic:

    I just love that this thread is now in the top results for searches for this site.
    Well, I wasn't "evangelizing" the website. The whole point of my post was to see what other people think. Yeah sure, I explained how much I like the site and why -- but my point wasn't to promote the site.

    .and also, some people DO go on and on about an idea, just because they like it. If other people can't believe that it's a form of discrimination. ie: If I don't see the value in being charitable, then it would be discriminatory to accuse someone who "is" charitable of giving away money for a "purpose" -- all because I think that no one gives away money just because they want to be nice. It would eb very presumtuos of me to have that opinion, just as it is presumptuous of you to think I have something to do uth the site, just because I like the idea so much.

  11. #11
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    When you post on a forum giving your opinion of something then that effectively invites others with differing opinions to post their opinions in reply. The least likely thing to happen if you post an opinion on a forum is that those who agree with you will be the only replies (or will even bother to reply at all) - at least not until one or more contrary opinions have been posted.
    I have no problems with people who have differing opinions to my own. I might very well say that I don't agree, and why I don't agree - but it certainly doesn't cause any grief on my part. I have absolutely no problem with those who think the site sucks. I will just keep responding in a light which explains I "don't" think the site sucks. This thread, this post -- this whole situation has nothing whatsoever to do with opinions of the website; and again, nor am I affected or distratec by differing opinions.

  12. #12
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to quote this person:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...tml#post153131

    This person got it right! .. and I answered accordingly.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •