SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Founder of Primal Skill Ltd. feketegy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb I'm conducting an experiment on browser window size. Help me out.

With the adoption of bigger displays with higher resolutions the screen resolution as an important variable in web design are getting obsolete.

The correct variable would be browser window size, because not all the users are browsing the Web with fully expanded browser window, but the problem is that no analytics tool (that I know of) measures this variable.

I want to create a statistic that gathers data and from visitors and shows the difference between browser window size and screen resolution.

If you want to participate in this statistic please visit the data gathering site here: http://playground.primalskill.com/browser-window-size/

Once I gather enough data I will show the results on my blog, but also here on this forum for Sitepoint users.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting study, I'll watch for the results. I might have to start tracking this at my analytics service as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally took the time to create the data gathering script. It bothered me for a long time, because I use Google Analytics where the screen resolution is measured only.

So if I create a website layout that complies to let's say 1024x768 screen resolution that doesn't mean the user would browse the Web with the browser fully expanded on the screen. He could browse let's say 900x700 browser window and this is a problem from site design point of view...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have 200 individual data gathered, but I need a little more.

If you want to participate in this statistic please visit the data gathering site here: http://playground.primalskill.com/browser-window-size/

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could code your script in straight JavaScript without using a library, I could get you a million data points within a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. The script is written in Javascript and sends the data via AJAX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feketegy View Post
    Hmm. The script is written in Javascript and sends the data via AJAX
    Yeah, but you're sending out the entire jQuery library to collect two numbers. Fine for you maybe, not an acceptable cost for the way I could've recorded some data for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and if a rewrite it?