Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Problem using XMLDSO with XML containing space preserve tags

Hi folks,

I am trying to use XMLDSO to load an XML file into a HTML document and then pick out and display the data.

For a simple XML file I have this all working fine.

However, the real world XML file that I will be using (and I have no control over) has an attribute on every single tag for preserving space.

e.g.

<start>
    <title xml:space="preserve">Mr</title>
    <firstname xml:space="preserve">Joe</firstname>
    <lastname xml:space="preserve">Bloggs</lastname>
    </start>

As soon as I add these xml:space="preserve" attributes into my test data, then nothing works i.e. no data is extracted from the XML and no errors.

When I take them out, the data appears again.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening and how I might workaround this as I cannot change the source XML and would like a solution where I can get XMLDSO to somehow ignore these attributes.

Regards

Rod

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks,

Just an update ...

It doesn't seem to be just related to the space=preserve attribute i.e. if I add any attribute whatsoever to an element it does not display via the XML DSO "data islands" approach. e.g. <title>Mr</title> works whereas <title id="abc">Mr</title> fails.

Interestingly, if I take the attribute off a tag then the data for that tag appears with the data missing for the remaining tags that have the attribute which suggests that some (possibly all) of the XML data is being loaded OK.

Regards

Rod