SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In need a solid, easy to use, WYSIWYG editor for my CMS?

Hello everyone.

I code small custom made CMSs for people's sites. I've been wanting a rock solid WYSIWYG editor for page editing. looking for one that puts out nice XHTML code and is easily configurable.

What tried and tested solutons do you guys use and why? Please, only answers from people who have tried and tested solutions - not just links off a google search.

Thanks so much for any help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used TinyMCE in the past with several of my own CMSs and shoutboxes etc. It is fairly simple, all you need to do is include the main js file and an init function in which you declare which icons you want on the menu and various other options. By default it will replace all textareas on the page with the WYSIWYG, however the areas replaced can be specified by referencing the IDs of the elements you wish to replace with the WYSIWYG.

There is plenty of documentation and code examples for all the common solutions needed from WYSIWYG editors. You can also use a compressor to decrease the loading times of the editor.

Have a look here: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/
    Luke Morton
    UK Web Explorer| lukemorton.co.uk

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers man. Looks excellent!

...thing is, I downloaded the production package and the folder itself is like 2mb? Surely this is massive? Too big to have on a website? Or all these kind of things this size?

(Soz, aint had time to read the site/docs properly as I gotta go to bed now, but please... give me any tips on how you used it, if you could!!)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a look at FCKeditor (http://www.fckeditor.net). It's a little large, but I've used a few of them before and this blows them all out of the water.