SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Convert PPT to Flash or JPEG on server

    Hi

    We need CMS admins to be able to upload PPT presentations to a web site that will be converted to a suitable format for visitors to view on a web page.

    I'm probably looking for server software that will convert a PPT to Flash while maintaining all the transition elements of the PPT.

    If not, then a server PPT to JPEG converter will suffice.

    Does anyone have anything on this?
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

  2. #2
    Coding and Breathing CoderMaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlit, Israel
    Posts
    470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't belong in the Application Design forum.
    Learn about the new Retro Framework
    Code PHP the way it was meant to be coded!

  3. #3
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoderMaya View Post
    This doesn't belong in the Application Design forum.
    Well, we are designing a web application using PHP, but if admin care to move this elsewhere more appropriate I won't complain!
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be able to do something with open-office.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict fattyjules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out S5. It doesn't answer your question, but might throw a new perspective on your problem.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys, for your answers - doesn't seem to be a server side solution for what I need. At the moment it looks like exporting PPT slides to JPEG and uploading those to the server where a PHP script generates a Flash slide show via XML... Bit of a nuisance for users.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

  7. #7
    SitePoint Addict crabby80's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some handy server side tools here http://www.swftools.org/

    Why not use PHP COM to convert PPT to jpgs or is that what you meant?

  8. #8
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby80 View Post
    Some handy server side tools here http://www.swftools.org/

    Why not use PHP COM to convert PPT to jpgs or is that what you meant?
    Thanks for the lnk.

    PPT to jpgs is fine, if server-side.
    Can you point me to more info re PHP COM?
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

  9. #9
    SitePoint Addict crabby80's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    info on COM http://us2.php.net/manual/en/class.com.php

    Code would be somthing like this

    PHP Code:
    $powerpnt = new COM("powerpoint.application") or die("Unable to instantiate Powerpoint");
    $presentation $powerpnt->Presentations->Open(realpath($file), falsefalsefalse) or die("Unable to open presentation");
    foreach(
    $presentation->Slides as $slide)
    {
        
    $slideName "Slide_" $slide->SlideNumber;
        
    $exportFolder realpath($uploadsFolder);
        
    $slide->Export($exportFolder."\\".$slideName.".jpg""jpg""600""400");
    }
    $powerpnt->quit(); 
    Please note I've not tested this and don't whether it works but hopefully should get the idea

  10. #10
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby80 View Post
    info on COM http://us2.php.net/manual/en/class.com.php

    Code would be somthing like this

    PHP Code:
    $powerpnt = new COM("powerpoint.application") or die("Unable to instantiate Powerpoint");
    $presentation $powerpnt->Presentations->Open(realpath($file), falsefalsefalse) or die("Unable to open presentation");
    foreach(
    $presentation->Slides as $slide)
    {
        
    $slideName "Slide_" $slide->SlideNumber;
        
    $exportFolder realpath($uploadsFolder);
        
    $slide->Export($exportFolder."\\".$slideName.".jpg""jpg""600""400");
    }
    $powerpnt->quit(); 
    Please note I've not tested this and don't whether it works but hopefully should get the idea
    I really need a converter without having PowerPoint installed on the server though...
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

  11. #11
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D View Post
    I really need a converter without having PowerPoint installed on the server though...
    Did you try with open office? You can run open office from the command-line (Use shell_exec from PHP to call it).

    The commandline variant of open office is called open office headless

  12. #12
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    Did you try with open office? You can run open office from the command-line (Use shell_exec from PHP to call it).

    The commandline variant of open office is called open office headless
    OK, thanks. I'll look into it.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

  13. #13
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used them, but you could check out ASPOSE.slides.

    They don't offer direct PHP support, but you could use their Java version relatively easily.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D View Post
    OK, thanks. I'll look into it.
    did you look into it? if you did you would have found JODConverter and realized it is exactly what you are looking for.

    The only solution I am comfortable with thus far (because I have used in the past) is using Sun’s “Open Office” in headless mode (on linux command line) to convert powerpoint presentations into SWF files.

    We have to utilize JODConverter (which is JAVA based).

    I’m 99% sure this will be the most desirable path, but we should certainly do some additional research into other solutions.

    I can't post links because i'm a new member.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •