SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress Blog SQL to XML

Hi, does anyone here know how to upload sql databases to the wordpress. I have couple of databases that I want to store on my wordpress but I wonder what will I do to make this working.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't quite understand. What do you want to happen when you upload a SQL database to WordPress? It's a blog platform, not a database server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know it's a blog and not a database server. But I have a content that is stored on .sql file. And as I understand, xml is the format of the files that wordpress stores. My question is, is there something on earth that can upload the articles in .sql file to wordpress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress does not store data in XML files, it stores data in a .sql file. There is a feature in WordPress which allows you to export as XML; AFAIK this is for users who don't have direct access to their database such as those on WordPress.com.

To use the .sql file, you will need to import it into your database (usually via phpMyAdmin), then connect to it via your wp-config.php file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how do I import data into wordpress? I have this problem. And I thought it was xml. Now the sql is here and ready. How do I convert this into wordpress contents?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How you do it entirely depends on your server setup.

Are you using phpMyAdmin? If so, then there is an 'import' option somewhere there which will allow you to import the contents of the SQL file into your database. If you don't already have a database, then you will need to create one before importing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On what table should I upload the database? I'm stuck in the sea of tables. I don't know where to upload it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tables are inside the database. So you don't upload a database into it, you upload the tables into the database.

Just create a database (or use an existing one), then use the import tool in phpMyAdmin (you haven't mentioned if you are using this or not) and the appropriate tables will be uploaded into the database (assuming the .sql file contains the whole thing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Thank you for your replies. Now I have uploaded the sql already and it seems ok. But when I logged in to the admin, I didn't see a thing. No contents at all. How could I make it link with my wp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    ... connect to it via your wp-config.php file.
    Open wp-config.php and edit as per normal for a new WordPress install. Except this time WordPress will automatically load with all the posts.