SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saying No F'ing Way

Hi All,
    So, I have a prospective client who told me that she wants music on her site. My first though it...oh crap. Now, this was basically just a meet-and-greet type of meeting so I kind-of sidestepped the issue, but I know it's going to come up again. Assume for a minute that she will choose me to build out her website, how do I tell her I am not putting music on her website?

The idea I am going with right now is trying to make it a huge barrier for her. I told her that she is going to have to get permission to use the songs on her site and hoping that is enough. My next step would be to just make it really expensive to actually do it. But I am afraid that she won't care so any help would be really appreciated.

Oh and I know there may be *some* environments where music would be ok for a website...not that I can think of one....but she is a painter (walls not canvas)...so I know this is a bad idea.

Thanks
    Joe
    -- Joe C --
    "Do or do not. There is no try..."
    - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This depends on how open to suggestion she is. You can try to explain the reasons why this is a bad idea then do so. Try to explain it in terms that she will grasp (that it will ultimately be bad for her business) and stay away from purist web design semantic type arguments that will just earn you a blank stare at best.

If she's completely adamant that there is going to be music and you're completely adamant that there will not, point her in the direction of the most incompetent web developer you know and there's every chance she may come running back.

Cheers,
    D.

PS - The last paragraph is mostly joking.
    Last edited by disgracian; Sep 29, 2008 at 17:04. Reason: Clarification

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're absolutely adamant that you won't do it, you owe it to her to make that clear to her up-front. If she engages with you thinking you'll do what she asks, you're doing her a huge disservice to later tell her "by the way, I'm not doing this."

I say help her get it licensed (charge a lot for that), put it on her website (charge a lot for that), and then if she's willing to pay both fees, keep the site out of your portfolio and smile all the way to the bank.