SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WordPress vs CMS

I jumped into the world of blogging a few months ago, using Google and Opera blogs, and I'm really impressed. In fact, I'm anxious to move up to WordPress and have one specific goal I'd like to ask about.

I have a series of CMS websites with "World" sections, where people can learn about various nations, the 50 states, Canada's provinces, etc. Besides writing content for all these places, I have to import it into database tables, which is going to be a lot of work.

So here are my questions...

1) Could I use WordPress to create a series of posts titled "North America," "United States," "Brazil," etc., each of which would be displayed at URL's like MySite/World/North_America, MySite/World/United_States, and MySite/World/Brazil?

2) Can I modify URL's? For example, if I don' like the URL MySite/World/Congo,_Republic_of, could I change it to MySite/World/Republic_of_the_Congo?

3) Would I be able to modify each post as often as I want? Rather than sit down and write an article about each nation, then put it in a database, etc., etc. I'd like to be able to simply visit my WordPress blog and add some information to my Mexico post if I happen to read something interesting about Mexico in the news.

4) Would I have to alter the structure of my web pages, or could I leave them as is and just use WordPress to inject the content? If I have to accept WordPress' page designs, would I have a lot of latitude in modifying them - single-column vs two-column, various background colors, banners, etc.? In other words, I'd probably want to make the pages look similar to my existing pages.

5) Could I use WordPress to create content for different sections, for example, with posts displayed at MySite/World/Arizona and MySite/Topics/Geography?

6) Would I be able to do all of this with the free version, or would I have to buy the commercial version? I'd like to try the commercial version, but it could get expensive, as I have several websites.

Thanks.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post

1) Could I use WordPress to create a series of posts titled "North America," "United States," "Brazil," etc., each of which would be displayed at URL's like MySite/World/North_America, MySite/World/United_States, and MySite/World/Brazil?
    Yes, you can do that either with categories or pages.

2) Can I modify URL's? For example, if I don' like the URL MySite/World/Congo,_Republic_of, could I change it to MySite/World/Republic_of_the_Congo?
    Yep, you can. WordPress creates URLs automatically, based on your post title. You can, however, change the URL name to anything you want in your write tab.

3) Would I be able to modify each post as often as I want? Rather than sit down and write an article about each nation, then put it in a database, etc., etc. I'd like to be able to simply visit my WordPress blog and add some information to my Mexico post if I happen to read something interesting about Mexico in the news.
    Yes, you can. The latest versions of WP allow you to keep revised posts as well, so that you can revert to an older version of an article and vice versa.

4) Would I have to alter the structure of my web pages, or could I leave them as is and just use WordPress to inject the content? If I have to accept WordPress' page designs, would I have a lot of latitude in modifying them - single-column vs two-column, various background colors, banners, etc.? In other words, I'd probably want to make the pages look similar to my existing pages.
    You can use the same structure via WordPress as you're using now. You don't have to use WordPress specific styles. Styling is up to you and CMS independent. The site's design will look according to what you make it.

5) Could I use WordPress to create content for different sections, for example, with posts displayed at MySite/World/Arizona and MySite/Topics/Geography?
    You could use pages or categories, or a combination of both for it. I don't find WordPress to be overly versatile for these type of things, but you can do it easily anyway.

6) Would I be able to do all of this with the free version, or would I have to buy the commercial version? I'd like to try the commercial version, but it could get expensive, as I have several websites.
    Which commercial version? There is no commercial version.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, sounds too good to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Which commercial version? There is no commercial version.
    Maybe I'm thinking of some sort of WordPress blog service? I could have sworn there was something associated with WordPress that was commercial. But if it's free to boot, I'm on board.

Thanks for the tips.

P.S. I just thought of another question. I assume the posts you make in WordPress are stored in a database hosted on your server (along with your website). Therefore, it would be relatively simple to copy the WordPress database to your computer as a security measure - or to preview your sites locally - right?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Wow, sounds too good to be true!

Maybe I'm thinking of some sort of WordPress blog service? I could have sworn there was something associated with WordPress that was commercial. But if it's free to boot, I'm on board.

Thanks for the tips.

P.S. I just thought of another question. I assume the posts you make in WordPress are stored in a database hosted on your server (along with your website). Therefore, it would be relatively simple to copy the WordPress database to your computer as a security measure - or to preview your sites locally - right?
    Well, WordPress is just one option that does what you have listed. There are (in my mind superior) alternatives that can do that as well, but WordPress does indeed do what you're after.

I assume you thought wordpress.com offers a commercial version for the application whereas wordpress.org offers a non-commercial version perhaps? Well, wordpress.com allows you to host your site on wordpress.com, whereas wordpress.org offers the self-hosted application (which I would say is what you should use).

Yes, the data is stored in a database, so you can conveniently make regular backups and keep a local copy of your site on your computer.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, WordPress is just one option that does what you have listed. There are (in my mind superior) alternatives that can do that as well, but WordPress does indeed do what you're after.
    Hmmm...I hate to change the topic of my thread, but what are some of those superior alternatives?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to make clear that I do like WordPress a lot. It's just not an application I would use for my bigger projects. If this were my site, I'd use something like ExpressionEngine or Drupal, occasionally TextPattern, though the former two may be overkill for what you want to do. It's a matter of personal preference and choosing the right tool for the right project. With WordPress you're making a good choice and it definitely is the easiest to learn of the lot.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress . . . definitely is the easiest to learn of the lot.
    That pretty much sells it for me. I tried Drupal a couple years ago and thought it was a little hard to learn, though I think it's generally considered one of the better CMS platforms. Anyway, I eventually made my own CMS, which was a lot of work, but at least I know how it works (sort of).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest wordpress for you. CMS is only if you have lots of time to maintain it. Rather than focusing on maintaining the CMS, use wp and you can use more of your spare time in generating contents.