SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forums without PHP

I'm not the brightest bulb in the store when it comes to web page development. Does anyone know how to create a forum for a page/site without using PHP, FrontPage, all that stuff? For instance, if you were to put a site on a flash drive.

HTML Code:
    <div class="style2">
    	<form id="form1" runat="server">
    		<br />
    		Talk about...anything.<br />
    		<br />
    	</form>
    	<form method="post" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" onSubmit="location.href='../../_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;" webbot-onSubmit="">
    		<div class="style1">
    			<br />
    			<input name="Text1" type="text" style="height: 183px" /><br />
    			<br />
    			<br />
    			<input name="Submit1" type="submit" value="submit" /><br />
    			<br />
    			<br />
    			<br />
    			<br />
    			<input name="Reset1" type="reset" value="reset" /><br />
    			<br />
    			<br />
    			<br />
    		</div>
    	</form>
    	<p>&nbsp;</p>
    </div>
    That's the code I made for what I tried, but it needs FrontPage Extensions...help, please!

P.S. I also included a picture of what the above looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi samthefish, welcome to the forums,
    I guess you don't need anything but a server, text editor, and email account. For example you hard code the page and upload it. Someone submits a post, you get an email. You edit the page and upload it. Someone else makes a post, you get another email. You edit the page again and upload it again. etc, etc.

How often are you going to be online, and how fast can you edit and upload?

You don't need Front Page to create a page (in fact I suggest you not use it), you can write perfectly good HTML in Notepad. And you don't need PHP. But unless you have some type of server-side language (Perl, Ruby, JSP, NET, Coldfusion, etc.) you could be very busy and will be very limited as to what you can do. You also don't need a database, but unless you want to keep editing files, you'll want to at least have CSV or XML files to read/write data from/to.

Most forum applications handle things like member registration, SPAM filtering, flood protection, site navigation, and many other tasks for you so the site can run "hands-off" to a large extent.

If you want a forum, I suggest you take the time to at least get somewhat familiar with an application enough to be able to install a "theme" and "plugins" even if you don't become an expert designer/developer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help, Mittineague. I'm quite new to this,and I'll take all the assistance I can get. Very much apprecitated.