User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question i want to learn ruby on rails

HELLO

i want to learn ruby on rails... so could you help me by tell me which book is Good for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi php-user, welcome to the forums,

Don't forget to checkout this forum's sticky thread http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281181
    I worked through each of the tutorials I posted about and they helped me.
    And you can check out the free sample chapters from this SitePoint book to see if you might like it http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails2/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm completely new to web programming, but I was able to build and launch a site (called myworldearth.com) in a short time by reading these books & googling as needed:
    1) Build your own ruby on rails web applications (Patrick Lenz; Sitepoint)
    2) Practical Rails Social Networking Sites (Alan Bradburne; Apress)

Other useful books:
    - Ruby on Rails E-Commerce (Hellstein, Laine; Apress)
    - Agile Web Development with Rails (Hansson; Pragmatic Bookshelf)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rails is still young and changing fast. I wouldn't direct anyone to the DHH book at the moment, because too much of it is outdated and parts of it just don't work in current rails. Lenz's book is pretty good (I used the first edition of it myself to get me started, back in the rails 1.x days) and from what I've seen the new edition keeps up pretty well with the current state (at the very least it'll be far more helpful than the DHH book).

But probably the best place to learn rails is the web. There's a bunch of tutorials (both video and text) easily discoverable via google. I'm unaware of your current skill level, but there's a lot of good info you can glean simple from the Rails API pages and doc pages. And Ryan Bates' Railscasts are also terrific.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the tutorials over at buildingwebapps.com REALLY useful. You'll want to sign up for their email list so you can get updates when they add new lessons, but don't worry, they've never spammed the list. In fact, I think the only emails I've gotten have been notices for new lessons. The first few are audio only (with transcripts online), but the last 3/4 or so of the lessons available so far are screencasts. Oh, and these lessons are free.

From their site, I also learned about peepcode.com. They offer paid screencasts, tutorials and PDF books covering RoR. Looks like good stuff, haven't tried any yet though. But they're pretty inexpensive given the time they'll probably save.

Kenton

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If learning Rails is a long-term decision for you then I have to recommend getting to grips with Ruby. Rails changes a lot, so some of the best resources for learning it are all online because books can get dated quite quickly when Rails undergoes new releases. If you have a solid grasp of Ruby it can make life a lot easier, as you will be able to understand the changes that have been made.

In this regard I can recommend Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional by Peter Cooper (Apress, 2007). It covers the basics of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and Ruby syntax and is aimed at someone who is new to programming in general. It's a gentle but fantastic introduction.

From there, BuildingWebApps.com, peepcode.com, railscasts.com are all very useful in getting up to speed, along with other online tutorials.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use this: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/

I am also learning ROR, and this baby is the way to go