Thread: OrbSpinner?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OrbSpinner?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of selecting a CMS for my new website.
    This is an ongoing process it seems, cause I've been trying different systems for months.

I came to the conclusion that it's best suitable for me to use a Static Publishing system.

I downloaded an old program called OrbSpinner. It's a desktop cms with a database on your hard drive. It publishes static html pages but it's very extendable. I love it....

...the problem is that the development of this program stopped long ago and the website is gone too. I managed to download a copy of it through archive.com.

The help file of the program says the following:
    Currently, Orb Spinner is in beta trials and does not need to be registered. The beta version is a full working copy, and you may use for a period of 30 days, after which you will need to update it to a newer version, available at OrbSpinner.com.
    Obviously, the site is gone and no new updates will be available. So, effectively it's nothing but a trial version, and nothing can be done about it.

I haven't got it installed for 30 days yet, and hope that by some miracle it continues to work after the 30 days, but it's not very likely.

I have two questions, if you can even answer only one, or have some additional useful information, please let me know.

1. Does anyone has any experience with OrbSpinner and will it still be fully functional after the 30 days?

2. Are there any good alternative static publishing cms' that are not CityDesk or Expression Engine?

John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some additional searching on the old orbspinner.com website through Archive.com.

I found a news article stating:

The latest version of Orb Spinner, 1.0f, has just been posted. Like the last version, the executable's date code was updated. This is will prevent the 30 day beta warning dialog which shows itself when you have a version older than 30 days. No other bug fixes or features are included in this release.
    This seems to point out that the trial limitation has been disabled, but I'm not 100% sure.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many CMS scripts why push something that is unstable or unavailable.
    CUBE SCRIPTS MEDIA
    REAL ESTATE SCRIPT 2.0 | Software for Real Estate Agencies

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

To answer your question:

1. It produces static html. (faster site, much more secure, more digg proof etc.)

2. It is a desktop application. So there are virtual no security issues, or "weekly" security updates.

If there's a good free or low cost (my site won't be earning me any money, at least not in the early stages) alternative, I would love to use that, but I haven't found one, so far.

If you know such a program(s), please let me know.