SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC writing Tablet- are they any good?

My husband has a birthday coming up and he is into working with graphics in photoshop and video editing. I was thinking of buying him a writing tablet, you know the things that look like a note pad and pen that write on the computer. Do any of you have any experience with these? Brand suggestions would be great.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Toshiba Satellite and a Protoge and have been very happy with both........ The Protoge is much lighter and travels easier. Jon

SitePoint Enthusiast scorpionagency's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wacom tablets range between $200.00 - $1,500.00 - a bit out of your budget, but they are top notch. You can always buy a tablet like the one I still use everyday, a Genius G-Pen 340 (3x4) Graphics tablet. Its compact so it dosent overlap with my keyboard & fits right between the keyboard & mouse. I found the larger bulky models to take up too much desktop space, when I'm ready for a big one I'll just invest into a $3,000.00 touch screen / tablet with tilt.

The Genius G-pen 340 is ideal if you want a good working tablet at a dirt cheap price. They are only around $36.00 + shipping depending on where you get it.

I've tested mine with the following design software's:

Adobe Fireworks Cs3
    Adobe Photoshop Cs3
    Adobe Illustrator Cs3
    Serif DrawPlus x2
    Corel CorelDraw x3
    Corel PaintShop Pro x2
    AutoDesk Maya Unlimited 2008
    LightWave 9
    Inkscape
    Gimp
    GimpShop
    Blender

The tablet worked perfectly with all the above software's. If you want to see what the tablet has done for me, you are more than welcome to check my portfolios. Simply click on my "Illustration Design" signature link bellow, once on my main site, click the "Sample Designs" link in the top navigation. There will be 5 portfolios their, all the work done in them was using the Genius G-Pen 340. Over 200+ designs combined. Not to mention the 3,000+ I don't even have in the portfolios.

Heck, for the price of $36.00 it's a win win. If you decide you don't like tablets, you are not out a bunch of money. If you decide you do like it & get used to it, you can then justify a larger investment later.

I bought mine here for $36.99 + shipping http://www.buy.com/prod/genius-g-pen...204545626.html

I'm sure if you googled around a bit you can find it cheaper than what i paid, I just figured I would let you know that one delivered the product within 3-4 business days as promised.

Hope that helps, good luck!