SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Applying multiple drop shadows to one layer, etc

Just wondering, is there a way to make Photoshop support multiple instances of the same layer style on one layer?

It seems that on any given layer, a layer style is either enabled or it isn't. That is, there's either an inner glow or there isn't; there's either a gradient or there isn't; etc. What I want is multiple gradients on the same layer, stacked on top of each other. There've been many times over the years where I've thought "It'd be nice if I could do that", but I've never really looked into it because there are workarounds.

I've just had a quick look around the interface and the nearest thing I can find is Layer > Layer Style > Create Layer, which turns the layer styles into separate layers so you can add new ones to the original layer. Unfortunately the styles modified by this are no longer implicitly tied to that original layer, meaning drop shadows won't change size if the original layer is adjusted, etc.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately such a feature is not available, at least not up to CS3 (but I don't think they've introduced anything similar with CS4). I always have to use layer copies (usually just a black-filled shape of it with opacity at 0&#37 to apply multiple layer style instances.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That kind of effect is always archievable by playing with blurs, blendings and few more. You can make "several" inner glows that way =P

Though I see no use on this. A glow is A glow, not several glows or several shadows can be added to an image, if you're looking for diferent light focus then duplicating the layer should make the work =)
    WAKKOS.ES
    Photoshop Tutorial Blog & More