SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Favorite CMS's

So far I've tried a lot of CMS's out, I like lightweight ones with a very simple layout so you know what you're doing. Here are my favorite CMS's so far, I hope this helps anyone:

#1. FrogCMS - I would call this the wordpress killer (atleast for me), my favorite thing about it is the Snippets. Uses MySQL, extremely small compared to Joomla or Drupal. Does what you need and does it fast and easy, extremely simple to customize and has a lot of powerful features.

#2. sNews - This is probably a little better than FrogCMS only if you do really small sites, this would be awesome if you customized it a little more, the smallest CMS I've seen so far that works this good, the coding is beautiful. I would use this over wordpress any day. The file organization is so miniature i really like that.

#3. SkyBlueCanvas - Although its flatfile, it creates literal pages, what I like about this is how much stuff it has and its super easy to install and also looks sexy

I hope that helps someone picking out a CMS, I know they aren't the most popular but they are definately worth using if you are a perfectionist!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I've never heard of any.
    I work actually for a company which is in the "enterprise content management" space. Compeitors like sharepoint, interwoven, and now alfresco. I got introduced to wordpress, etc.. after first looking at phpnuke, and I used mambo for a while, and drupal.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jream
    so far ive only used joomla and wp. but i appreciate the heads up on the others. thanks.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of them either. I always use ExpressionEngine for all my clients, and they're all happy. So am I.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Drupal is on the rise. It's been utilized by some fairly large companies recently. Its probably still a little complex for the average webmaster, and in many cases unnecessary, which is why Wordpress is so incredibly popular - easy and has the features most webmasters want for 90% of their sites, unless where talking corperate clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything you said about sNews, I agree with you 100%. It is versatile, extremely lightweight and quite powerful. However, to customise it, you have to be fairly a good programmer. This CMS is definately on a deit, but is good for simple wesites that need to be powered by one.

I don't think it can rival Wordpress though. Nor is it trying to compete it. It is saying like "hey if it is a small website, Worpress is overkill and sNews is the perfect solution". It may well be.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just converted my gallery site to Drupal. I've met some other Drupal users that meet each month so that's been helpful. Any comments on MODx CMS for basic sites. Its seems easy to get a website up with it.
    David Voth
    Cheamweb - Your Window into the Fraser Valley
    The Macfoto Life All About Macs, Web Design and Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I of course only use Instant Update for my clients sites. Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla come handy when friends ask me for something that I need to complete for free and of course as quick as possible.
    CUBE SCRIPTS MEDIA
    REAL ESTATE SCRIPT 2.0 | Software for Real Estate Agencies