SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Where does Wordpress end as a CMS?

What are everyone's thoughts on where Wordpress ends as a CMS and the question of if it does at all?

I'm currently working on an estimate for a client and they just added blogging to the requirements. That's leading me to debate scrapping my custom CMS framework and moving everything into Wordpress exclusively. But there are some pretty serious custom pieces in the site and I fear that I'll need to "rig" Wordpress which will make the user's management experience of their own Web site clunky.

Say I have a big homepage Flash movie that displays random images. Pretty simple stuff. If I can't find a Wordpress plugin for the user to upload/edit/delete images, prioritize them and churn out XML to throw over to the Flash movie then what? Does Wordpress end as a CMS for me here? And a better question is rigging Wordpress for this type of management a disservice to the client?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every script has it's limitations. You must remember that WP is still a blogging system that can also be extended to do other things. A good CMS will handle virtually all needs out of the box with few plugins IMHO.

You really need to learn about your clients long term plans before commiting to any particular script.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. I was hoping to hear a little more about why Wordpress works for any site, where it fails for any particular site or if there are people that are completely against this altogether.

Sitepoint seems to be typically a community of developers that like to get their hands dirty and I thought I'd find the most well-thought opinions here.

Any thoughts on my example of a custom homepage Flash movie that scrolls random images. How can the user update something like this via Wordpress with ease? Or for that type of functionality should I be looking to code a plugin? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, not sure I understand enough to get your point, but here is my 2 cents. Out of the box, I do not consider wordpress a cms, but a blogging program. However, you can easily setup wordpress by making the appropriate changes in the settings to use static pages.

I have my site setup this way.....static pages are in the forefront of the site with articles (blogs) being part of the setup.

In my mind, wordpress gives you the option or the best of both worlds -- blogging and cms -- you just have to set it up the way you want.

The only real drawback right now with wordpress is the newest version 2.6.2 does not have as many compatible plugins or themes as the previous version 2.5. I'm especially disappointed in the themes available right now for 2.6.x, but I'm sure in time that will change.