SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low prices, good quality? I don't get it...

Been doing a bit of the old research into pricing web projects and the like, and came across Web Creation UK.

I've heard of them a few times and been aware of them for a while but never really paid much attention, until now.

Not only are they ranked #1 for some of the best search terms for this industry i.e. web design, they are also unbelievably cheaply priced, considering the packages/services they provide as well as the quality.

They seem to be a lot cheaper than the average web design company or freelancer, like myself, for similar packages/services. I've spent years honing my skills and my charges reflect this as well as the value I think my solution provides.

But it seems to me that they actually offer good services and packages but for a fraction of the price that most of us charge, which makes me wonder if I should reconsider my own pricing structure, business model etc, if this is what we have to compete with.

So I dont know about you guys, but that makes me kinda depressed!

Take their SEO service for example - a SEO package from a professional SEO can cost as much as 500 or more per month but yet WCUK are pretty cheap in comparison and still for seemingly good SEO results.

So...I don't get it. I would suspect that their overheads are low and that they are entirely web based which could account for their low prices but to make a profit at these prices to me is still pretty hard to grasp! Unless they work at superhuman speed...or employ slaves...or am I missing something obvious? They dont seem to use templates and apparently build sites from scratch.

Don't get me wrong, they seem to have done a great job to get to where they are today, so good on them, not to mention that you can hardly fault the quality of their websites nor their SEO results but I'm just interested on how they even manage this, especially at those prices.

What do you guys reckon? Am I just paranoid or should I (or even our industry) be worried? : P

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If customers are still paying you the prices you believe are the good ones, don't pay attention.

if people start asking prices, but never came back... maybe its time to find why other gives better prices. Maybe the crisis?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply

I guess that's a valid point- why worry if we still get paid the prices that we charge.

The thing is, Web creation UK are based in the UK, as am I and they seem to get a big chunk of the market, with over 3000 clients to date according to their site. A lot of sites I come across seem to be made by these guys and I can almost understand why.

The fact that these guys seem to provide pretty good value and quality for a fraction of the cost that I and most others would normally charge makes me wonder which option a client would go for- if on one hand a company offers good services and quality solutions at an extremely low price and on the other hand another company offers similarly good services and quality solutions at a much higher price, then which would the client go for? I mean, why would they bother paying a lot more for similar good services and quality?

Personally, I can't see how I could match their prices for what they offer, it would be impossible for me/my team to complete a similar project and still make a profit for the price that WCUK charge, if that makes sense?

I would understand if they were cheap for a good reason such as they use templates or use unethical techniques but that doesnt seem to be the case according to them or their testimonals etc.

Just makes me wonder if web design/development is a dying art or worth the effort sometimes, with so many templates availble these days and companies such as WCUK being able to churn out seemingly good quality websites so cheaply...

I guess you could compare it to the good old days where houses and buildings were built with good trade skills, material and with quality in mind, whereas now, cheap houses and flats are constantly being churned out as cheaply and quickly as possible.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duno View Post
    The thing is, Web creation UK are based in the UK, as am I and they seem to get a big chunk of the market, with over 3000 clients to date according to their site.
    They may have had 3000 clients but how many are still with them?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you consider quality. The site I checked uses table structure for layout, and does not pass validation for HTML 4.01 Transitional, nor CSS 2.1

True, many don't know or care, but as a professional (and by professional, I don't simply mean making money doing it), I know and do care enough about what I create to always do my best.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to the quality, or lack thereof, of the WCUK work, but based on Mitt's last response, I'm thinking WalMart vs. the local specialty shop. You can buy in bulk and go with quantity over quality, or you can go with the artisan who charges more but does far better work.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their own entry page has over 160 validation errors - and that's by using a table layout - yikes ! I'm not so worried about their use of tables, but to have so many errors in a comparatively simple layout doesn't speak highly of their coding skills.

If they supposedly have over 300 clients, then maybe they just don't care about quality, it's more about quantity for them.

Not sure what you can do about it as most clients don't care about validation and accessibility etc., However, it could be something that works in your favour... don't small businesses in the UK have to comply with accessibility guidelines and such... if so, its a path you can follow and promote...

Nadia

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments guys, suddenly I'm not feeling too depressed anymore!

I take great pride in making my sites accessible as possible and work my *** off for my clients, as do you guys I'm sure, so I guess the moral is that honesty, quality and accessibility (among many others) will always triumph over cheap, inaccessible and badly produced sites.

I guess at the end of the day its really up to us to educate our clients as to why these qualities are important and why they pay us what they do.

Especially in the UK, where there are in fact legal requirements of creating websites that are accessible, within reason. Certainly, promoting this fact should not only educate potential and current clients, but act as a promotional feature.

Thanks again for your comments guys, I think I'm going to like it here (I just recently joined)!

Darren

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the moral is that honesty, quality and accessibility (among many others) will always triumph over cheap, inaccessible and badly produced sites.
    Say it loud, say it proud, brother.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's like the saying
    "Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two"
    Although those sites may look good to the naive, and to some Fast and Cheap are more important than Good. To me, being professional means that Good is always one of the two. i.e.
    "Good, and Fast or Cheap, pick one"

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it seems to me that they actually offer good services and packages but for a fraction of the price that most of us charge, which makes me wonder if I should reconsider my own pricing structure, business model etc, if this is what we have to compete with.

: P
    If the prices I see (when I click on their home page link) for a 1-3 page or 4 - 6 page site are a fraction of what you charge, you must be doing quite well...

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hadn't looked at the "Website Options" page.
    1-3 pages $1250 USD
    4-6 pages $1430 USD
    7-12 pages $1610 USD
    And for an "online shop" $2510 USD !!
    If that's unbelievably cheaply priced, I need to rethink pricing myself.

IMHO, if that company is doing a good business, it's not because of quality or cost, but primarily because it can (I assume) create a website Fast. To some, getting a site "live" is a top priority.

To compete, without using a site generator script, it seems that it might be worth looking into working with a team instead of working solo.