Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kburb23 View Post
    time to empty your Wallet again!

No way this thing will fly in the current economic environment... there is practically nothing new in CS4 over CS3.
    You're kidding right?

Photoshop with OpenGL is a major step forward.

On-the-fly full 360 degree canvass rotation without degrading the quality of the raster? It's be the equivalent of spinning a piece of paper on your desk in order to comfortably illustrate a curve.

Plus the fact that Photoshop can now tap into your 3D video card (use a GeForce card for the best results), and is 64-bit compatible are major upgrades. No more 4gb ceiling.

Flash has upgrades as well (as the others have noted).

Adobe Illustrator has some major changes as well: http://www.adobe.com/products/illust...s/?view=topnew

And if you're an illustrator user, you will immediately know how incredibly useful/powerful those new tools are.

CS4 is definitely worth far more than the $2500 for the master collection. Far far more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OwainGDWilliams View Post
    The other thing is if you are buying CS4 Master Collection which is advertised on their website for $2,499, divide this by the number of apps in the package (17) you are only spending $147 per app which is pretty good!
    So why can't they sell the separate apps for $150 ea so people can get just what they want, rather then spending that absurd price for 17 apps when they will propbably only use 4 or 5 of them???
    Regards,
    BJ Duncan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OwainGDWilliams View Post
    The other thing is if you are buying CS4 Master Collection which is advertised on their website for $2,499
    Or in the UK around £2,300 (just over $4,000). That's a rip-off.

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I really like illustrator cs3 over cs2 because of the live color alone. but the new gradient features in illustrator cs4 look very good.

I am aslo looking very forward to a new feature I heard about in photoshop where you can take several images of the same subject and it combines all the sharpest angles from each pic to create the sharpest image possible...I often have to shoot pictures of diamond jewelry for the company I work for and even with a lightbox, d80, and 60mm micro lens...its still very hard to get a good shot...especially since the micro lens has a very shallow field of depth...if I could snap say 6 at different focus depths then drop them into photoshop and get a completely sharp image that would be worth the money to me right there.
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theese programs are wayy too expensive be great if i had the money to buy them, i have only just got CS3!

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's particularly expensive for cs4 for a professional tool set. I doubt many professions could kit out their place of work with the 'best in class' tools and be able to recoup the cost within a couple small jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Duncan View Post
    So why can't they sell the separate apps for $150 ea so people can get just what they want, rather then spending that absurd price for 17 apps when they will propbably only use 4 or 5 of them???
    Easy: because 90% of the "apps" that they cram down your throat are not worth $150, or even $50: they are only there so that the simpletons doing the "price per app" math think they are getting good value for their money.

Don't forget that Adobe already amortized all their flagship products a loooong time ago, and that new versions probably include 95% of the previous codebase.

That, along with the "upgrade path", which seems to me is closer to a crack dealer than a software maker, are the hallmarks of their truly perfect business model.

Oh wait, I forgot... THE PIRATES MADE THEM DO IT!!! - The poor children! won't someone think about the children??

Question: Why doesn't Adobe go after P2P users like the RIAA does? Because they don't need to; having absorbed their only true competition, their business is doing just fine, thank you very much.
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XLCowBoy View Post
    Photoshop with OpenGL is a major step forward.
    Maybe for the 1% of users that will be doing 3D in photoshop instead of a specialized 3D package. For the other 99% bearing the cost? No impact whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by XLCowBoy View Post
    On-the-fly full 360 degree canvass rotation without degrading the quality of the raster? It's be the equivalent of spinning a piece of paper on your desk in order to comfortably illustrate a curve.
    Congratulations Adobe for being the LAST one of all major illustration programs to add this feature. You are truly innovative!
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on upgrading as soon as my parents buy it for me. Ill be waiting though a couple months like DT said. My parents better buy it for me or ill be mad.
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all those moaning about how expensive it is - have you looked at the Design Premium Subscription version? This is what I have, and it includes updates to the newest version. It's also only costing me $129 (AUD) per month. So, I didn't have to fork out several thousand dollars in one hit, making cashflow easier, and I don't have to fret and carry on when a new version comes out, because I know I'll be getting a nice package in the mail with the update.

Seriously - if I can't justify spending $129 a month to generate thousands of dollars a month in revenue, there's something very wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll upgrade myself for sure. Currently using CS3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you can install it without a tin opener.
    There and back to see how far it is...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    What i can say so far is that i like the addition of the 3D features although its still way too few, way too late, but yeah, finally there´s a start at least.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado View Post
    Maybe for the 1% of users that will be doing 3D in photoshop instead of a specialized 3D package. For the other 99% bearing the cost? No impact whatsoever.

Congratulations Adobe for being the LAST one of all major illustration programs to add this feature. You are truly innovative!
    The openGL is to help speed up the 3D effects (such as the canvass rotation). Photoshop is still not a full fledged 3D program.

Let's face it: Photoshop is still the best stand-alone jack-of-all-trades graphics software out there. I wouldn't want to be jumping back and forth between programs just to achieve the same result on Photoshop. Having the new features only ads to it.

Honestly, I don't understand this whole "criticize all improvements" thing. It's like when Apple released Time Machine, people criticized them because Windows came out with it first.

I mean... So what? The point is that it's a new helpful feature. Same with Adobe's additions. If you're so angry about them making improvements, I'm sure there are still a few copies of Photoshop 7 around.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why cant you buy the outdated CS2 for cheap?
    If you can, I havent been able to find it anywhere!
    If you could get CS2 for cheap I would get it, as I dont seem to be able to find it anywhere, I will hang on to my current software a bit longer.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ghurtado, you seem quite fixated on hating on Adobe...Have they done you wrong...or something? I mean...they are a business selling a product that earns a lot of us quite a bit of money. I have no problem shelling out the $2,500 because I know each new version has new tools that help me do new things quicker, and better.

OK, since you seem to be "in the know"...What do you suggest other than Adobe that has a Photo editing piece of software (with 3D editing capabilities) that seamlessly integrates with Motion Graphics software (After Effects, Premiere Pro)? What software packages do you suggest to replace Adobe Flash? Illustrator? InDesign?

I obviously must have missed something - Adobe is considered a standard among many MANY designers and developers...but this cloud you're on looking down at us all has me wondering what I've missed. Please enlighten us.
    ~ Nate L ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazon sells solo versions for cheap, like 250 bucks for photoshop cs2 i think, i only use ps and ai, its like buying a used car, save a ton if u get older version.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...?promoid=DNOWM

They will release it as soon as it is bloated enough..

ahaahhahahaa
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'll stick with photoshop 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NateL View Post
    ghurtado, you seem quite fixated on hating on Adobe...Have they done you wrong...or something? I mean...they are a business selling a product that earns a lot of us quite a bit of money.
    Microsoft is also a business selling a product that earns a LOT more people a LOT more money than Adobe. Do you also disagree with any criticism against Microsoft's monopolistic practices?

When you criticize Microsoft (and I am sure you have, come on, it's Microsoft!), is it because you are "quite fixated on hating them"? Don't be ridiculous! Hatred has nothing to do with it.

Effective monopolies, like the one Microsoft has on operating systems, or the one that Adobe has on image editing software, stifle the competition are bad for the consumer. This is economics 101. You are the consumer. Do you not care at all what price tag Adobe throws at you? Do you not care that they have only marginally improved the product over the last few years with the millions that people have thrown at them?

OK, since you seem to be "in the know"...What do you suggest other than Adobe that has a Photo editing piece of software (with 3D editing capabilities) that seamlessly integrates with Motion Graphics software (After Effects, Premiere Pro)? What software packages do you suggest to replace Adobe Flash? Illustrator? InDesign?
    You just described the problem better than I could: because they became an effective monopoly after acquiring its largest competitor, there are no real alternatives for most of their software. This means they can charge whatever they want for that software, but also that their consumers will defend the company with unrivaled fanboy zealotry (for free, too!). I suspect that is because once you have shelled out the cash for an overpriced piece of software, your brain tries to find a way to justify it by any means possible.

I obviously must have missed something - Adobe is considered a standard among many MANY designers and developers...but this cloud you're on looking down at us all has me wondering what I've missed. Please enlighten us.
    Nobody needs to be looking down from any clouds to disagree on whether a product is overpriced, it is simply a different point of view than yours.
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, if you live in Europe, expect to pay between 50% and DOUBLE the US price for the same piece of software.

In the meantime, academic discounts are 40% of the standard price tag in the US.

So if you are a design professional in Europe you could be paying up to FOUR TIMES as much as a design professional in the US who is enrolled in a college class.

Yay for fair business practices!
    Garcia

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair points - I agree with you on a lot of that (I run Apple hardware, so yes - you know my thoughts on MS)

I'm pretty open minded, and I thought about what you said. You're right, in the grand scheme of things, there's not many improvements. Only a few extra goodies to speed up your workflow

So, if you had to put a price tag on the CS4 Master Collection what would it be, and why?
    ~ Nate L ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, if you had to put a price tag on the CS4 Master Collection what would it be, and why?
    That's a very tough question for me to answer for couple of reasons. First, there are some applications in the suite that I have never even used, so it would be hard for me to say how much a product like InDesign should be priced at. Then there is the fact that some of those "fringe" applications would have been discontinued if they weren't included in the suite packages. I think they are throwing some stuff in there so they can tell you "See? if you do the math, it is only X dollars per application!", but they have almost no revenue coming from those apps.

About the suite pricing, I can only really say that for a price tag of $5000 (in Europe), it is hard for me to see that as a fair price.

Easier for me would be to answer how much I think Photoshop should cost. Since I have used it extensively, and I have used similar programs, like PaintShopPro (which retails for $89), I think Photoshop should cost no more than $100. Maybe $150 to show that it is "the best of the best".

It only sounds outrageously cheap because we are so used to the high price tag, but software pricing has a lot to do with volume too. I can only imagine Adobe would sell a lot more copies of Photoshop if it was cheaper. After all, Corel has managed to make a decent profit off Paint Shop Pro for years, and they are almost equivalent in features.
    Garcia

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now all the tutorials in web designer magazine will be CS4 making me have to upgrade to follow - and it's very expensive - and I still ahven't got CS3 still on 8 so that's one good thing I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should still be able to follow new tutorials with an older version. Other than very specific new features, the "meat and potatoes" of photoshop hasn't really changed that much in recent years.
    Garcia