SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by szo2
    vB is not that full of features, and their default design gives a very unhappy feel. Their prices are way too high. phpBB support more databases, and it is free.
    It's not full of features? I challenge you to give me something with more features. For commercial software, the price is extremely reasonable - as I said, compare it to any other commercial software and their features and benchmarks will show why it is reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait 'till a.netforum blows it out of the water though

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not saying that vB is with little features, but personally I don't care whose birthday is on today. Why compare it with any commercial software? Also, I can't see any similar commercial BB software out there. phpBB provides all important features of a bulletin board and some other luxurious features and is completely free.

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How easy/hard is vBulletin and phpbb to install and maintain?

I really don't know a lot of php [I mean I don't know any ] so that could be a road block to setting one of them up.

Also, I think that vBulletin is tops, no doubt, but how many features are absent in vBulletin Light? I might could set up vBulletin Light, then if it takes off and builds community, bump up to the full version. But then again, it might come closer to becoming a successful board if it is the full version, right?

Where is ikonboard is all of this? Good or no? I know there's supposed to be a new version either about to come out, or just came out.
    Last edited by StateDOG; May 5, 2002 at 16:35.
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBulletin Lite has about 20% of the features of the full version.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by StateDOG
    Also, I think that vBulletin is tops, no doubt, but how many features are absent in vBulletin Light? I might could set up vBulletin Light, then if it takes off and builds community, bump up to the full version. But then again, it might come closer to becoming a successful board if it is the full version, right?
    I wouldn't recommend that. vB Lite is only intended for testing purposes - for buyers of vB to see if it works with their server.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just made a post in another thread (there are lots of these threads).

vBulletin and phpBB both have many features. vBulletin is slightly better overall in my opinion. The choice isn't as important as the admin. As long as you choose one of them, it will be the administrator that makes a site successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on several factors

I think the one of the key factors in selecting a board is what environment you want to develop in (or if you want to develop!). If you're running on IIS, and know ASP, definately take a look at Snitz Forums. They don't have the sexiest interface out-of-the-box, but they've got a lively community with good support and lots of MODs. I use this for my site (in the sig).

If you're running on a Unix server, ASP is pretty much out of the question (there are add-on solutions, but they seem to be less than 100% compatible). So that probably means you'll use either CGI or PHP.

I haven't tried vBulletin, but I did setup a phpBB2 board. It was might first experience with PHP, MySQL, etc. and actually went pretty well. I like the admin controls in the latest version and highly recommend it.

My $0.02 worth.
    Jeff Hester
    BigBlueBall | My latest project: SoCal Hiker

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I had tried UBB 5.xx-6.xx, vB 2.xx, phpBB-php2 and many other CGI based board.

So far as far as vB is concerned, its the best although its not free. A easy to modify templates system plus great resources on hacks.

I had installed both vB at my main site forum as well as php2 at another site forum

I had added a lots of hacks to vB which I think help to improve a lots of features.
    Reliable Web Hosting | NetAsia Solutions - One-stop Web solution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iFroggy

[B}vBulletin and phpBB both have many features. vBulletin is slightly better overall in my opinion. The choice isn't as important as the admin. As long as you choose one of them, it will be the administrator that makes a site successful. [/B]
    What, in yall's opinion, makes a successful admin? What qualities make an administrator better than others?

SitePoint Enthusiast DealExpert's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding good moderators is important as well. My forums are only 3 months old and are already starting to get popular (well, at least for a 3-month old forum) which is also due to my great mods.
    DealExpert.net - Forums
    Deals, Coupons, Freebies, Sweepstakes, and more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use YaBB SE, it has done everything right compared to it's sister (the perl version). They have managed to turn around a PHP version fairly fast and they haven't stopped developing since.

This is a good thing in my opinion and they are very attentive to users requests. This and the fact that they are focusing on server optimization and clean code, this makes YaBB SE my choice.

I looked at phpBB but the community turned me off. Ikonboard has NEVER impressed me. It was hyped beyond belief, the creators claimed it was so awesome and then once they moved to ibforums they claimed it was horribly written, a resource hog etc. So I can't trust them...

I'll stick to where I'm welcome and where I have a voice...that and we've seen screenshots for SE 2 already!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by halldorr
    I use YaBB SE, it has done everything right compared to it's sister (the perl version). They have managed to turn around a PHP version fairly fast and they haven't stopped developing since.

This is a good thing in my opinion and they are very attentive to users requests. This and the fact that they are focusing on server optimization and clean code, this makes YaBB SE my choice.

I looked at phpBB but the community turned me off. Ikonboard has NEVER impressed me. It was hyped beyond belief, the creators claimed it was so awesome and then once they moved to ibforums they claimed it was horribly written, a resource hog etc. So I can't trust them...

I'll stick to where I'm welcome and where I have a voice...that and we've seen screenshots for SE 2 already!
    have your tried Invision Board (ibforums), that does live to the hype??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yabb vs. phpBB

I've not ever administrated a Yabb, but from just surfing around on them and phpBB, it seems to me that phpBB is easier and more friendly to the eyes and all.

But what do I know?

I've set up a phpBB site (North Mississippi Sports Forums ) and it has gone pretty smoothly. But I still think I long for vB someday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tell me the url at ibforums where the authors claimed Ikonboard wasn't good?

Originally posted by halldorr

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Zain
    Can you tell me the url at ibforums where the authors claimed Ikonboard wasn't good?

I dont know about that but heres the statment Matt made when he left

As you may be aware, I've left Ikonboard. Ikonboard is still managed by the Jarvis Entertainment Group and as far as I am aware, it will continue that way.

Why?

After working on Ikonboard with the Jarvis Entertainment Group for 8 months I am mentally exhausted. A comination of late nights and punishing deadlines have contributed to this metal state.

I was growing increasingly disillusioned with the direction Ikonboard was being taken under instruction of the Jarvis Entertianment Group. This does not mean that the Jarvis Entertainment Group did anything wrong or immoral - I just made certain commitments to myself and the Ikonboard community and I felt that they were not being upheld. I felt that I could no longer continue working with JEG constructively.

The time has come to move on.

I am fortunate to have the support of the "iTeam" - most of which are going to work with me on our new project. I want to get back to basics and actively involve the community again. I want to rekindle the "love" of programming I used to have - and this project allows me to do this.

We are working hard to bring you a new forum solution entitled "iBoard". We will be developing concurrent perl and PHP versions. The perl version will support flat file and *SQL databases, the PHP version will natively support various flavours of SQL.

This project is independently owned and managed but this is not possible without you.

Join us at http://www.ibforums.com later today and lets make a new piece of history.

A big thank you to John and the ikonboard.co.uk crew for allowing me to make this post.

I also thank you for your continued patience and support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

InvisionBoard! :)

I use InvisionBoard like Buztin and IBF lives up to it's name. It's made in PHP and is VERY fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use vBulletin and phpBB 2 - both are pretty good.

with the paid one - vB - I did not have any problems that were not quickly solved.

phpBB - I'm not a hard user of this bb system - I use it on a small site. Have found some bugs while using it, but as it is free and these are minor bugs that only slightly distort the good sight for this bb product, so I can only recommend it if you choose a free bulletin board.
    Browar.pl: Poland's brewing!
    vBulletin: Polish templates

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vb all the way!!!!

If you are serious about building a community and want to be the best in your field you will get the best software you can. And that IS vbulletin.

It obviously will be developed better and quicker also as it is a commercial product.
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Enthusiast DealExpert's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just upgraded my forums from wbb1 to wbb2 and it looks very nice so far. There are still some things to customize but my members already like their "new home".
    DealExpert.net - Forums
    Deals, Coupons, Freebies, Sweepstakes, and more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried lots of forum scripts and here is my selection of non-commercial solutions (based on server environment):

PHP - phpBB2
    Simple to install and manage, stable, nice interface, contains language file...

ASP - Snitz
    Support Access, MS SQL and mySQL; you have to spend some time to improve it's interface (how do you like my solution click here), doesn't contain language file...

Perl/CGI - YaBB
    Choose it if you don't have database support (it uses own flat file); contains language file; has some security problems...

All of these three forums have big and very helpful communities.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YaBB SE

I've got to say that I love using YaBB SE, although there have been many resports that is uses ALOT of system resources. I haven't had the problem with my host. I was going to use phpbb like many of you do, but i hear a lot of people are getting their boards hacked. Yabb se has more dev then phpbb.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: YaBB SE

Originally posted by elementrice
    I've got to say that I love using YaBB SE, although there have been many resports that is uses ALOT of system resources. I haven't had the problem with my host. I was going to use phpbb like many of you do, but i hear a lot of people are getting their boards hacked. Yabb se has more dev then phpbb.
    YaBB SE is PHP/mySQL forum script and I don't think it uses a lot of system resources. Perl version (YaBB) has this problem.