Hello,

When I first built my website, I learnt that heading tags should describe the content that follows them. So the logical format for most pages in my mind was this:

Example 1
HTML Code:
<title>Content <!-- (similar title to the words used as the content heading) --></title>

<h1>Navigation</h1>
<!-- navigation menu -->

<h1>Content</h1>
<!-- content -->
<h2>Sub Content</h2>
<!-- sub content -->
<h3>Sub Sub Content</h3>
<!-- Sub Sub content -->

<h1>Ads</h1>
<!-- Ads -->

<h1>Footer</h1>
<!-- footer content -->
I recently learned that there should only be one level 1 heading on your page. So I have been looking for the best way to re-arrange my content. My initial thought is moving all the headers down a level like this:

Example 2
HTML Code:
<title>Content <!-- (similar title to the words used as the content heading) --></title>

<h1>Content</h1>

<h2>Navigation</h2>
<!-- navigation menu -->

<h2>Content 2</h2>
<!-- content -->
<h3>Sub Content</h3>
<!-- sub content -->
<h4>Sub Sub Content</h4>
<!-- Sub Sub content -->

<h2>Ads</h2>
<!-- Ads -->

<h2>Footer</h2>
<!-- footer content -->
But this brings up two issues, firstly I need a new descriptive title for "Content 2" and it will de-value the sub headings of the content. The most suitable heading name would probably be "Main Content", which probably wouldn't be very useful in terms of SEO. So that brings me on to this idea (Which is probably even worse for SEO, but I have seen it on quite a few sites):

Example 3
HTML Code:

<h1>Website Name or Company Name</h1>

<h2>Navigation</h2>
<!-- navigation menu -->

<h2>Content</h2>
<!-- content -->
<h3>Sub Content</h3>
<!-- sub content -->
<h4>Sub Sub Content</h4>
<!-- Sub Sub content -->

<h2>Ads</h2>
<!-- Ads -->

<h2>Footer</h2>
<!-- footer content -->
I thought a discussion of this could be quite useful for a number of web developers/designers, who seem to have a similar level of confusion over this simple formating as me.

If you have a better suggestion to the ones above, please make another example, based on the examples used to keep the thread as clear as possible.

Thanks, looking forward to the following discussion

ro0bear