SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what does accessible Flash mean?

If a Flash animation is embedded into a web page how does one know if it is accessible or not? If a JAWS user can "run" the animiation does that make it accessible? If there is a transcription available for dead visitors to read, does that make it accessible?

I have taken over the development of this site: http://checkoutacollege.com/ which uses Flash animations (the talking heads on the home page). At the moment, I don't think it is accessible to screen readers because it requires mouse over. If I can change it to run by tabbing to a link which the user can "click" on, does it become accessible for screen readers?

I would appreciate any help as this is the first site I have been involved with that uses Flash.

Thanks.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela French View Post
    If a Flash animation is embedded into a web page how does one know if it is accessible or not? If a JAWS user can "run" the animiation does that make it accessible?
    It depends on what you mean by 'accessibility'. Some claim that it only has to be accessible to people with disabilities; others (like me) claim that it needs to be accessible to everyone with a browser and an internet connection.

Your Flash animation may be accessible to JAWS users (blind or visually impaired), but it may still be difficult or impossible to use for a person with a mobility impairment or a cognitive disability.

And it will definitely be inaccessible to the likes of me, who don't have the Flash plug-in.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane