SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Ampersand Character Not Showing?

Hello,

I've been working with updates on a Flash based design that pulls content from a remote MYSQL database server. I recently had an auto-update script installed (by an IT consulting company) that works great....but I've noticed since this time that any '&' ampersand symbols do not convert to show correctly. If you view a page in the browser all ampersand symbols now show as '&'.

Is it possible the UTF setting needs to be changed to work with the php update script? Has anyone heard of this problem before?

My experience is in html and handling content updates, so Flash scripting and php is out of my realm, but I'm trying to confirm what the issue might be to prevent our consultant from going over budget. I've done numerous online searches but haven't come across specific mention of this problem yet.

SitePoint Evangelist ferrari_chris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little confused.

You're saying the & are showing as &?

Or that & are showing as &?

Also, can you give an example of the string that's coming into Flash and an example of how it's displaying?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that is a little strange. So what you are saying is when you use & for example, it does not convert into the appropriate special character?