SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redirecting to a domain with keywords but keeping own name site on business cards etc

I have a website where the client didn't really know exactly where her business was going to go when she started. As a result she decide to use her own name as the domain. Now she has much more clarity. I was able to pick up a couple of good domain names with keywords. I'd like to redirect "hername.com" to "keywords.com". Ideally she'd like to continue to use her current web address and email address on her business cards and stationary but I'm not sure this is a good idea. Would this be confusing? Or is it a bad idea for other reasons? or does it not make a difference? I think the reason is that her card or stationary will probably be going to people she already has some connection with. Thanks for you insight. Amy

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue I can see here is that when people go to hername.com... it may be confusing when it changes to keywords.com... it may look spammy - UNLESS keywords.com has the same exact layout (especially the same header and title) as the last site.

Does she have the option of both? She could use the old site for existing clients and the new one for potential clients, etc?

Either way, it's probably not a big issue if the site stays the same.

OR - another option is to change it to the new address, send out a mailing or something telling her clients that the URL has changed.

I think that she's got some options, and it shouldn't matter much either way.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There would be no change in the website. It would be exactly the same as it has been so anyone who has already been there might not even notice it's a different domain.

I thought having two websites with the same content is not good SEO practice. Is that right.

I also just wondered if it would be confusing to have both web addresses on her business card.

Thanks for your response.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely don't do two sites with the same content (you are likely to get penalized by google for this) - a redirect is the way to go.

And I'd use whatever site you want on the business card. I wouldn't use both.

You may have a few people wondering 'WTF happened? Why did the URL change?', but I don't think it'll be a big problem. Most won't even notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I thought having two websites with the same content is not good SEO practice. Is that right."

Yes, having sites with duplicate content is not a good thing to do. Google do not like duplicate content at all.

And a duplicate site will never rank well in Google and other SEs. I suggest you 301 redirect the old site to the new one if you decide to make a new site ["keywords.com"].

Else you can keep the old domain. I think not having the keyword in domain isn't a big problem.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'll either leave it as is or 301 redirect the current one to the new one and not worry too much about the business cards,etc.