SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for direction for simple CMS

You know how when you are looking for something simple and you know it probably exists but you don't know what to call it? Well...

I admit it right out front. I am a newbie. I am a designer first and a coder second for sure. So far my stuff is simple, static sites but that look really good. I am a quick study and I need some help on the next level. here's the thing:

I am putting in a bid on a very simple website. I have worked up a prototype to show the client and want to have some things to say about content management. I want to be able to sell them on the idea that they can add content to existing pages (and delete content that is old) themselves without knowing how to code anything.

Seems to me that there should be a simple system that lets you define an existing <div id="content_to_change"> element on index.html (or any other page or element for that matter) so that, without the client knowing what is going on, when they click 'update', what was in that <div> changes to what they inputted. Does that make sense?

It seems to me that that is what a CMS would be for but I am just not sure. Is it? Am I in the right direction? If so, can anyone recommend a good one for a newbie like me that is easy for me to install and for the client to use? If not, what should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not... Wordpress. This can be used as an amazing CMS system if you can properly create template to look like a web page and not a blog. I've done it plenty of times and when it comes to SEO this will be optimal as a CMS system.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I thought about that. Actually, thats the reason I started thinking about all this to begin with. I recently started contributing to a political blog on www[dot]criticallyhonest[dot]com (this is blogger not wordpress though) and saw that the system they have is doing exactly what I wanted. But wordpress lets you create multiple pages that can be "branded", like you say, and could be used to look like something other than a blog. I will look into this for the short term. But I think for the long haul, I would want to be able to install a solution to work on an existing server.

I have clients with existing websites already that I am redesigning who could benefit from a CMS. In that case, moving over to a wordpress account would not work.

After posting this thread origonally, I went looking into Joomla and it seems like that is fairly simple and powerful. Like I said, I'm a quick study but if that system is to feature bloated, it could get cumbersome. Any thoughts there?

Thanks for the wordpress suggestion. Good, but not ideal.
    p.s. sorry about the '[dot]' thing above. The system would not let me post a direct link until I have more posts. But don't let that stop you from visiting the blog and posting a comment or two if you want. All are welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    frogCMS

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I love Wordpress myself and use it often for clients, it sounds like www.editwrx.com might be just what you need here or perhaps something like www.activecampaign.com/visualedit/

HTH,

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how you're getting on with this but I would recommend looking into WebsiteBaker - it does exactly what you describe: you create a page first (you can even do this in html first to test locallyand then save it as php when you're happy with it), you then insert some snippets of code where you would like the cms to update it and off you go. That's how I started using it. When you're comfortable with that you can start adding the navigation snippet and modify this however you like. This then enables you to create new pages on the fly etc. Very easy learning curve and it won't take you much longer than creating a static site.

Hope this helps!

Konrad