User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Design For Women?

Hello there, just starting on a design for a site that will be targeting towards women. Any advice on how to cater to women on a site or what they prefer in web design. I'm thinking to add a picture of a woman, what do you think? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Coupons for everything you want!
    Mortgage Loan Modification Home Owner? Missed a payment?
    Follow me on twitter

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding a picture of a woman, hmm sounds like a plan good chance that will be 100% successful!

In all seriousness, It is impossible to generalize on gender alone, you need to have a more defined target audience, not just "they will be women" need a little more information.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, you're right, I should've been more specific. Actually very new to this, my partner and I are working with a designer to design a coupon site. Our target niche will be restaurant coupons and grocery coupons which we think will be mostly women shoppers. Does that help?
    Follow me on twitter

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FontMarketplace View Post
    my partner and I are working with a designer to design a coupon site. Our target niche will be restaurant coupons and grocery coupons which we think will be mostly women shoppers.
    Careful of your assumptions. In my first marriage, I (hubby) was the one who insisted on clipping coupons and organizing them in a little box. There are plenty of men out there who are cost-conscious and either shopping for themselves or shopping for their families. And what about same-sex couples? By designing a site that strictly appeals to "women," or perhaps more accurately, "suburban heterosexual women who handle the shopping and finances in their families," you run the risk of excluding a large portion of your potential audience. Think about the kinds of shoppers you want to appeal to, and don't think so much along gender lines.

All this is, of course, just my two cents.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you. I probably should've reworded it. I didn't really mean cater to them, but if there is anything that women tend to like or dislike it would be good to know, even if it is something little like colors or navigational options.

As far as the target audience, I myself (male) look for coupons when I'm making a bigger purchase. I know that more shopping in general is done online now and with the economy the way it is, I think this is a good idea. But there is a lot of competition for general coupon sites, which is why we thought food and more specifically groceries would be a good target to start out with and then try to branch out from there. That being the case, I'd think it would be safe to assume that women should be a large part of our target audience but of course not our only audience.
    Follow me on twitter

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points. If it were my site--and it isn't--I would make sure that part of the focus is on local coupons from local stores. Maybe even see if you can get site-specific coupons from local grocers and other vendors. Good for them, good for your site.

As far as "what women like or dislike" in Web design, the only things I "know" are color assumptions that are probably dead wrong. I think I can safely say that you don't want it to look like a World of Warcraft fan site. Other than that, I'm not so sure. This is a classic "women's site:"

http://www.ivillage.com/

and aside from the pink flower as a favicon, I can't see that the design or color scheme is any more "female friendly" than it sports that pastel-driven Web 2.0 look.

Here's a real "ladies' site:"

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

After looking over both of these sites, I couldn't begin to tell you what would specifically appeal to the women in the crowd without running the risk of being stereotypical and just downright ignorant.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes,agreed...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you devise a short questionairre and ask some nice ladies for some feedback? Obviously the more you can "sample" the better, but if you can come up with some good questions you should be able to get some ideas.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if this is something you are looking for, but the cleaner the site, the better. I would like to be able to know whats going on the site in the first 10-20 seconds. If I have to click around to see whats going on, then I'm not interested.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great feebback everybody. Thanks Black Max for the examples. Good idea bluedreamer i will come up with some good questions, and thanks greenandchic too for the insight, I agree and like to have the site design as clean as possible and easy to navigate, I particularly like icons.
    Follow me on twitter

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FontMarketplace View Post
    I agree and like to have the site design as clean as possible and easy to navigate, I particularly like icons.
    Icon-driven navigation is another can of worms. Just one word and I'll leave you to it: accessibility.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask an woman....

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you targeting just women, these days a lot of men do shopping, I see many men now pushing their baby prams and do grocery shopping, times are changing and whether you are a man or a woman everyone like a bargain.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helen6391 View Post
    Why are you targeting just women, these days a lot of men do shopping, I see many men now pushing their baby prams and do grocery shopping, times are changing and whether you are a man or a woman everyone like a bargain.
    Well said Helen ! :-)

PS: Welcome to SitePoint.

Nadia

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    Well said Helen ! :-)

PS: Welcome to SitePoint.

Nadia

Hi Nadia,

Thanks for welcoming me and for you kind comment, times are changing and we have to catch up with it. I am amazed how I see many dads with their children doing the shopping nowadays.

regards

helen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi -
    Lots of great advice in this thread!

There may be some psych. color associations betw. the sexes,
    but honestly - great content, easy-to-nav and clear indicators
    of the benefits of the site...what more do you need? ;-)

I know I personally cringe at overly 'feminine' designs, cluttered ones,
    or old-school circa 1993 designs - and all-flash sites - but not sure
    if that's webdev or chica talkin' ;-)

Have fun - why don't you run some initial designs in that forum thread
    once you have something?

El
    F-Fox 2.0 :: WIN :: el design :: US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently read this article

Men, women use web like prehistoric hunter-gatherers

winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081009/internet_behaviour_081009/20081012/?hub=WinnipegHome

(just add the http thingy at the front of that string, I'm not allowed to post links yet!)

Updated: Sun Oct. 12 2008 05:50:01

You may/may not find a useful tidbit in there.

Sue
    Sue
    ~lost in a fibro-fog
    http://www.stoons.ca/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One suggestion from me. Color pink is the mantra for the design color
    Last edited by Dan Schulz; Oct 14, 2008 at 13:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selbourne View Post
    One suggestion from me. Color pink is the mantra for the design color
    Please no pink. I'm a woman and I actually hate pink. I am also more attracted to a site that has males, not women. (Preferably Brad Pitt but he would look funny on a coupon site, now wouldn't he. )

Take a look at RetailMeNot.com which is not aimed at a particular gender. I think this will work best for you because of the reason others stated about both sexes taking part in the grocery shopping. On RetailMeNot, there are reds and purples, men and women. It is probably unwise from a marketing perspective to alienate one or the other.

Tia

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I don't personally think that women like different types of sites to men, in general. Of course, there are sites that appeal to certain groups of women or men, but if you are talking about gender as a whole I'm not sure you could differentiate.

Oh - and I'm a woman.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LJK View Post
    I know I personally cringe at overly 'feminine' designs, cluttered ones, or old-school circa 1993 designs - and all-flash sites - but not sure if that's webdev or chica talkin' ;-)
    Another poor excuse for me to post a link to the Worst Design Ever, just to make someone's stomach twitch. There are many ways to do it right, but this ain't one of them.

Off Topic:

I hate that those idiots are of the same political persuasion as I am.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest looking at successful Women Oriented sites if that is your target demographic. With a coupon site though you might want to go a little more neutral.

I do the majority of the grocery shopping in my house as well. Though you don't find very many coupons for organic foods.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to target only women, and what do you want to do with site. is a travel site dedicated to women or related to kitchen special.

Regards
    Last edited by HAWK; Oct 15, 2008 at 15:49. Reason: Link removed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Black Max - Ow, it stings.
    F-Fox 2.0 :: WIN :: el design :: US

SitePoint Enthusiast RachWilson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Market towards women because women make 80% of the purchasing decisions in the household...

Check out this site, it has some useful tips and research to back up why marketing to women is a very sound idea and some things you can do to market to them (us!!!):

http://splashgroup.com.au/why-market-to-women.html

This doesn't mean going all pink and frilly either... Men don't tend to care how it looks (not all, but most), so you're not necessarily cutting men out of the picture but to gain a larger market of people who will invest in your product, aim the marketing towards women and men will still buy it anyway.

This has become a very popular marketing strategy... but that's because it works!

I'd suggest doing a couple of mock ups using images and words that invoke a particularly positive feeling, then test it with a mostly female audience and gain feedback as to what they liked, what they didn't and if they felt there was enough value to purchase it.

The key is finding the right emotional hot buttons that they will respond to (in both images and text) so knowing exactly who your audience is and what their problems are will get you a long way into designing something they just can't live without...

Hope that was somewhat helpful

Rach
    Last edited by mattymcg; Oct 16, 2008 at 06:20.