SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot LucianoFigallo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to have clarified some about the “No-Follow” Tag

I have a site made to watch YouTube videos and want that they can be seen without leaving the site…in one new page for each video.

There are many videos and I should make a lot of content for each page…but don’t have the time for doing this.

If I use the “no-follow” tag for the new pages, it supposes that robots will not “analyze” the page? - and Google does not penalize me for having pages with little text content?

Is there any other way to watch the videos without going to YouTube (and left the site)? – and without creating new pages / URLs?

All comments and suggestions will be welcome.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Google doesn't ever penalise for having no text content on a page. It just has nothing concrete to index in terms of keywords, so those pages won't rank well in the SERPs.

There is absolutely no need to block spiders using nofollow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is absolutely no need to block spiders using nofollow.
    And what about the PR?...if the PR is assigned by google to the index (home page) mostly and then shared between all the pages of the site...the use of the "no-follow" tag makes that those pages don't receive any PR?

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Passing PR from one page to another does not lower the PR of the original page (ie the site doesn't 'share' PR). All it does is make the PR value that the page can pass to others lower (which may or may not matter, depending on whether you are participating in reciprocal linking).

Edit: In retrospect, I guess I should reword that original statement. There are reasons for using nofollow as I state above, but one of them is not because your pages don't contain text content. There is no penalty for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use nofollow tag for the links to the new pages, the google will not pass or give any PR to those pages. These pages will not rank in search results so you will not get any traffic. Google will ignore these pages so it is not a good idea to use nofollow tag for the new pages.

I suggest you add some content for every page you create as it will help your pages to rank good in search results. And if you are using adsense, then you can put ads in such pages. But if you do not add content in pages, then it is not safe to use adsense in such pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if you do not add content in pages, then it is not safe to use adsense in such pages
    Sure, it seems that I will have to add at least some text to each page...what is the minimun recommended (number of words) for the body?

Motivated Procrastinator seriocomic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LucianoFigallo View Post
    Sure, it seems that I will have to add at least some text to each page...what is the minimun recommended (number of words) for the body?
    A rule of thumb is around 300. However, it's the quality and not the quantity - relevance is the key.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only thing nofollow affects is which of the pages that your page links to share the PR that it can distribute. Unless you have one group of links you want to give PR to and another group that you don't want to give PR to then there is no reason to use it.

The only reason you'd use it for all the links on a page is if the links are being created by the general public and you don't want people adding spam to the page in order to claim a share of the PR.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rule of thumb is around 300
    OK...not so easy to do (because they would be more than 80 pages)...perhaps a good idea would be to upload each page only once its content finished.

The only thing nofollow affects is which of the pages that your page links to share the PR that it can distribute
    This means that if I create a page with a no-follow this page don't receive PR?..and rests "more PR" to be shared between the do-follow pages.
    These new pages would be built only with the purpose to serve to watch YouTube videos without leaving the site.

And what about if I send visitors to see the videos in YouTube...is there any advantage doing this?...is there any way to get traffic from YouTube?