SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alright everyone, relax. Why is there such consternation over a simple wording choice in a title?

Discuss the merits of the article, state agreements/disagreements over the contents of the articles.

Let's not get so worked up over a title, shall we?
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    Discuss the merits of the article, state agreements/disagreements over the contents of the articles.
    Oops! Sorry Dave! Maybe when you have finished telling me which aspects of an article I may discuss, you would like to check my fingernails are clean and wipe my nose too?

I don't know about others, but I left school thirty years ago.
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright everyone, relax. Why is there such consternation over a simple wording choice in a title?

That's what happens when you pick a really stupid title Dave. When you place it next to a sexy photo I think the focus even before clicking on the article was the very topic being discussed. Are you really that surprised?

I'm sure you, like everyone with the slightest clue on marketing, knows that sex sells. Gets attention etc. That's why Jina has Sexy in the title and thats why that picture was used. (Not any of the differing reasons she claims here or in the article. Can we discuss that by the way?).

Remove Sexy and the photo and see to what % clicks go down. Or better yet, use G WebsiteOptimiser and see the difference.

IJoEr has made the most relevant comment so far. Now, you could write something like "Creating Gay Stylesheets". That'd get you attention, but it sort of have the same problem as using Sexy, it's the WRONG kind of attention. Stupid. Irrelevant.

So perhaps... "Creating Amazing (remarkable, fantastic, sparkling, perfect) Stylesheets" Not as attention-grabbing as sexy, but far more accurate and guaranteed not to attract NEGATIVE attention (Which often results in unpleasant comments and whatnot).

Everybody understands what you are saying Jina. It was explained in the article. You need to stop defending this STUPID title and think before you use words, that can be controversial in many contexts, when speaking in public.

Use pictures of yourself that are professional. Would you attach that photo with a CV?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, let's call it a sexy interview about sexy CSS (looks funnier when used with CSS).
    Tweep List adds an avatar menu to Twitter (open source)
    Word Stats shows your most used words on Twitter

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take passion into the work I do, I feel writing the code alone is an art form, creating a layout of the code, grouping it, organizing it until it becomes just as nice to look at as the final design. I can call my CSS sexy, it becomes attractive to look at and maintain.

I take passion in the code I write so maybe that is what sets me apart from the rest, perhaps that is why I do not understand the Nazis here getting there panties in a knot over a word usage.

I can find code sexy, I can find it any way I like and describe it any way I like. Just as most men call there car sexy...this is no different.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what's the commotion here. Have any of you ever opened a newspaper ? Of course a title is going to use bold words that bring attention and the photo is going to be appealing to the target audience (i.e. sexually depraved men...I mean nerds :P ). Not something that I approve personally but that's how life works. Get over it.

(yet I admit I do have difficulties getting past the photograph and actually reading the article...it might not have been a good choice after all :P)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snipped>
    Last edited by mattymcg; Sep 21, 2008 at 22:43. Reason: No need to be disrespectful guys. Seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snipped>

I'm just saying, as some replies here (yours included) seem to forget who was interviewed (can't blame 'em I guess).
    Last edited by mattymcg; Sep 22, 2008 at 04:48. Reason: Disrespectful quote was removed
    XML_XSLT2Processor - perform XSLT 2.0 transformations in PHP.
    (my library, all feedback welcome)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, whenever I think of sexy with respect to web design, I think proper commenting where necessary and simple, easily-identified, coding practices (e.g. PHP and AS3).

Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85 View Post
    "I think some people misinterpret what I mean when I say sexy style sheets; rather than a sexily-designed web site, what I am referring to is a style sheet that has been designed and developed to be smart, efficient (taking in consideration both present development as well as future development), and maintainable"

So why doesn't she just say that...? Not logical captain!

Nice plug for the event though... I wont be going.
    Jippidy a! (Alex) - Creative Director, Web Development

Jippidy.com - Video Yellow Pages
    4FocusGraphics - Full Color Printing

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is by far the most 'amusing' thread I have read this month, yet alone year

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they say programmers are boring people...

XD

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jina is hot.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snipped>

sorry, what was that about css?
    Last edited by mattymcg; Sep 24, 2008 at 13:04. Reason: More comments in poor taste. Seriously, guys...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title was fine. (Jina's picture is pretty fine too)
    The article was so-so. I tried to skip ahead to the stylesheets part but then I realized there was no code being discussed and it was a plug for the conference.

I won't be attending (too far away, too busy) which is unfortunate because it sounds like Jina might have some good stuff to talk about. My stylesheets could definately use a little sexing up.

I have decided to now always refer to CSS and stylesheets as sexy in honor of this rediculous thread. Ultra-stiff use of language makes for boring ideas and people, and does not earn you any cool points.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article might have been interesting if it had anything to do with actually creating stylesheets...

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    This is just an advertisement.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sexy styles by a sexy designer :)
    Interesting!