SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aedus
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, Jina Bolton on Creating Sexy Stylesheets.

The CSS Eleven link is fubar'd.

Otherwise, thanks for the great read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aedus, link fixed.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    • Follow me on Twitter.
    • Read my blog.
    • Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "what I mean when I say sexy style sheets; rather than a sexily-designed web site, what I am referring to is a style sheet that has been designed and developed to be smart, efficient (taking in consideration both present development as well as future development), and maintainable"

My girlfriend is sexy, but definitely not efficient or maintainable. In fact, she is pretty damn UNmaintainable. Clever tho.

So why call them "sexy"? Because it's a sexy headline? In the workplace we know as "The Internet" aren't girls objectified enough and isn't it a bit... sad when a female resorts to it herself?

"I'm a GIRL talking about SEXY stylesheets!"

I'm making too big of a deal of it i know. It's just a title. It's otherwise a nice interview with a GOOD designer and i found it a pleasant read. It's just unfortunate to let other irrelevant things distract from that...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people are acutely aware of the fact a stylesheet will never be considered "sexy".

¬.¬ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet a lot consider a car to be "sexy".
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carologees View Post
    I think most people are acutely aware of the fact a stylesheet will never be considered "sexy".
    Which is exactly why it's such a sad way to describe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I think some people misinterpret what I mean when I say sexy style sheets; rather than a sexily-designed web site, what I am referring to is a style sheet that has been designed and developed to be smart, efficient (taking in consideration both present development as well as future development), and maintainable"

So why doesn't she just say that...? Not logical captain!

Nice plug for the event though... I wont be going.

SitePoint Evangelist winterheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know... i don't know if i understand the world too well or too little... about sexy... that sexy is somebody showing what "you may be able to get"... short pants, short skirt, sleeveless shirt, backless, showing the shoulder, showing the tummy, clothes that will show bra straps, clothes that will show nice figure of that body, or even clothes to show he has a lot of buying power (expensive clothes) -- sexy too...

and then, after showing "what can be available to you", you know, "it is not really available". you can please him or her, buy her dinner, do things for him, be nice to her or him, make exception for him or her, while being nasty to the other her or him who is not sexy... whatever it is, it might be a "tease" and chances are sexy being shown to hundreds of people, how many people will actually get it.

so i am really a bit sensitive to the word "sexy". maybe i am somewhat negative right now... but sometimes i feel like i understand it so that I am actually confused by it.

but CSS, i am very interested in it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since CSS is just a *suggested* style for content, it's not a big deal.

I suppose it must be art, I'm getting a horizontal scroll bar on her site in Opera.

Mind you, the 45 errors it gets on the W3C markup validator could be a factor.

What is it she lectures on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am going to learn creating new stylesheets soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm. If only my girlfriend was as sexy as Jina Bolton's stylesheets. I can hear them taunting now: "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robertss View Post
    Mmmm. If only my girlfriend was as sexy as Jina Bolton's stylesheets.
    I hope your girlfriend doesn't read this! How much to keep quiet?!!
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article, but I knew 95% of it already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum challenge: Rewrite Jina's headline. If you don't want her to say "sexy" in the headline to describe her headline then rewrite it and make it better. I think its perfect personally. But since some of you didn't like it, then what would you have written?

Also the word "sexy" isn't gender specific because you can have both men and women who are considered "sexy". for that reason, I don't think it was objectifying "women" to describe the style sheets as "sexy".
    Last edited by IJoeR; Sep 18, 2008 at 11:59. Reason: adding more of my 2 cents...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind renaming the article - rename this thread to "Revenge of the Nit-Pickers"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Sweeney View Post
    I hope your girlfriend doesn't read this! How much to keep quiet?!!
    i wish i could get a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaw come on, i wasn't saying let's change the name (i think the headline is perfect!)...I just wanted to see what the nay-sayers thought the headline should be since they didn't like style sheets being called "sexy". I thought it would be fun to see what they can come up with.

Jina Bolton
    A sexy car. A sexy new laptop. A sexy iPod. While the form factors of these products certainly are what contributes to the term "sexy" being used, there are other factors. Take a car, for example. How fast is it? How comfortable is my experience while using the features in the car? How much noise does it make? It's not just about the way it looks. It's about how it functions, too.

This is what I was trying to convey. When I see a new feature on a website that catches my eye, and not only looks great, but works really well, I think of it as being "sexy". I look at code in the same way. If it's done really smart, that's sexy.

I chose the title, because it's how I think of great designed products, great designed websites, and in this case, great designed code. So knock it off already.

Jina Bolton

Jina Bolton
    Seems my comment was deleted? Maybe on accident. Anyway...

I refer to anything I find to be well-designed as sexy. And what I find to be "well-designed" is something that goes beyond just looking great... it is all about how well it works. A great car that performs well and looks great is sexy to me. A MacBook Pro is sexy to me. Or an iPhone. It's not just how these things look. It's how they work, how they function.

When I call code sexy, I'm referring to what I mentioned above. How smart is it, how efficient, etc.

So let's stop focusing on issues that are irrelevant (objectifying women, etc). It's not even about that.

-Jina

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, sexy can mean a number of things... intelligent and elegant come to mind right away. Tell me what's wrong with trying to make your css intelligent and elegant?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshualane View Post
    To me, sexy can mean a number of things... intelligent and elegant come to mind right away. Tell me what's wrong with trying to make your css intelligent and elegant?
    Looks like it's open day for the definition of "sexy". That's the first time I have seen "sexy" defined as intelligent!

I think we can conclude that "sexy" means anything you want it to mean!

Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are we really having this conversation?

Sexy can used to define things that are sleek, or well put together... right?

¬.¬ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a showcase to why so many web designers/developers are dying from ulcers! Take everything all so seriously, I mean it is just a word, dang. Is it really that big of a deal or that important? Loosen up being so tensed all the time is not healthy in the least.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    This is a showcase to why so many web designers/developers are dying from ulcers! Take everything all so seriously, I mean it is just a word, dang. Is it really that big of a deal or that important? Loosen up being so tensed all the time is not healthy in the least.
    I agree, its pretty obvious what she means by it. It just a waste of time to spend so many post about a word she picked for the title, which I think is great
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a new title:

"Click here for a load of egotistical spiel".