SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aspen is on target. A PHP/Perl Programmer won't make as much per hour as say a C++ programmer. DBA's and SQL developers get paid a lot though. We have 2 contractors who are converting our Customer Databases from SQL Server and Sybase and they are making $1200 dollars a day each. Or if they work 8 hours each per day, $150 per hour. They usually put in more hours, because of a deadline built into the contract, but they still make $1200 dollars a day or $6000 a week. Myself on the other hand make substantially less but am working on VB Coding primarily with a little Oracle here and some SQL Server over there.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could some of you programmers out there give me an idea of what the usual hourly fee might be? These are the areas I'm looking for :

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Professional PHP/SQL Programmer
    <LI>Professional Perl Programmer
    <LI>Intermediate PHP/SQL Programmer
    <LI>Intermediate Perl Programmer
    <LI>Simple PHP/SQL Programmer
    </UL>

Anyone have any experience with this? What areas of PHP/SQL/Perl do you think I should focus on that will be most beneficial towards becoming a professional? Any advice is appreciated.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People pay up to $140/hr for a database programmer. cool huh? By database I mean someone who can take a back end database and integrate it to the web and all that hooplah.

As far as a starting out fee, $40-60 an hour seems pretty standard to me. Of course it depends on experience.

Then lets say you were top of the line working for amazon.com or something you'd probably make a few $100 an hour, but I've actually seen ads offering $140 for a database programmer.

Personally I dont work by the hour. I do it per job. Like lets say you're doing a site, and its really similar to a site you've done in the past. So you're reusing alot of code. It wont take you nearly as long this time around but you should charge the same, in my opinion anyways.

Chris