SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web design is not a dying art; in fact, I think it's alive and well. First and foremost, I think it's important to realize that, in general, a "web designer" and a "web developer" are two different things. I think a web designer, in the old-school traditional sense of simply slicing up a Photoshop image, IS DEAD. Web designers, today, have a greater responsibility in helping the developers for the site produce a product that is accessible, usable and W3C standards-based.

The great thing about the web design/development industry is that technology, standards, and skills are always changing and improving. Not long ago were websites build simply using HTML. Now, we have tools/techniques like Flash, Ajax, Flex and PHP to create truly visually appealing websites. Both a web designer and a web developer have to keep up at least some of the trends to stay on top of the game.. and this means constantly learning and updating one's skills. IMO, I think any industry that emphasizes continuous learning because of constant change is never a "dying art".
    Jippidy a! (Alex) - Creative Director, Web Development

Jippidy.com - Video Yellow Pages
    4FocusGraphics - Full Color Printing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website design will never die. For instance, if you want a site to be unique, stand out, and different you need web design. Websites are hardly html anymore but by definition web design refers to the art of building a site to make it attractive. It will never die it's just ever changing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prbably the softwares are making it easier but creativity lies in a few minds. if people want something great they have to come to the best. I have created something simple for my company chk it out google figuratively speaking its a simple blue colored website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right in a few aspects, but still when you want to design a website that suits your needs, than nothing can perfectly match your criteria. you need to design it originally to feel satisfied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web site design will eventually die when the software to automatically generate unique templates will come out on the market.

How can you tell that a site has an unique content, made by a human designer instead of an automated software?

You can't.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand some of your points. For me, I rarely create design from scratch. I usually find 2-3 good candidates, then fusion them together. I could never find a design that fits 100%. So in order to fusion together, I do need to know css/html/javascript. Of course, for "non-essential" sites for personal then I agree that you can find a good template. Still, if you're doing this for a "customer" most likely you won't find the single template to do the job. In terms of web site design, dying??? I really hope this wouldn't come true.. as I hate making a design from bottom up. Also, w/ more AJAX site springing up, there's going to be more AJAX UI friendly designs which takes more than knowing basic javascript/html/css

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by modulis View Post
    Web site design will eventually die when the software to automatically generate unique templates will come out on the market.

How can you tell that a site has an unique content, made by a human designer instead of an automated software?

You can't.
    Oh yes you can. Automated software is still too far away from being able to create accessible, usable, quality website. It will take another decade at least for that - plus take into consideration that web technologies are improving at very extreme rate so I doubt there will be any software that will be able to keep will all the trends and new technologies and still be able to create non-crap site...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeeWare View Post
    I have built over 2000 sites in the last few years and I am not even a designer.
    I don't believe you...
    ------------------

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't.
    I suppose software can automatically generate building plans and housing blueprints as well?

Until you have a computer that can think like a human being, learn like a human being, create like a human being, and FEEL like a human being, anything art or design-related will never be automated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure modulis, that would require some advanced AI with human intelligence, by that time we will all be cyborgs and living in some weird cyberpunk dream when everything will be different and we wont have websites, we will have virtual 3d environments we are all constantly connected to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way is it a dying art. One now needs to change their way of thinking however in web design. Design a site first using content, structure it, then place the design around that. Templates are not necessarily any good for this!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think web design is a dying art. It's obvious that small hobby sites using Wordpress or other blogging/CMS will choose a template (why spend money, when you can get a decent template for free), however many site owners that want to stand out from the crowd will still be willing to pay for unique design.

SitePoint Enthusiast abercrombie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web design has become "marginalized" and for most people they don't need an expensive designer. My web host has tons of beautiful web CSS designs and templates. And if you choose Joomla or Wordpress there are tons of free designs on the Net. Believe me, it helps and I appreciate when a designer pays attention to great design but for the masses it's no longer a prolific job market.

What's funny and kind of humiliating is when you try to get a job and some guy's friend buds in saying his teenage kid can do the job in an hour for only $10. Sure it'll be a crap job but most people are willing to go for the cheap designer vs. the expensive professional.

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alas, this is the fate of life itself...

I am delving into knowing how to design ( HTML/CSS) , in order to expand my marketable skills. I come from a background in print design , having worked as a designer art director for close to 10 years.

Even in the print world, which you would figure would be less forgiving to "templates" I saw much stock photo, stock layouts, even stock copy used in ads.

#1. 90% of clients wanted an ad, brochure, etc.. because their competition had one.. not because they themselves had an innate message that needed to be conveyed in that format.. which lead to...

#2 mosses always saying "dont reinvent the wheel" ( since their jobs was to make money not art) the function now becomes to deliver what ever satisfies a customer ( ie a a layout...possibly the same as their competitors just different logos and different colors) at the lowest cost (ie. 2 man hours copy pasting content vs. 200 man hours design/ approval/ building/managing..etc)

there will always be a need for outstanding design which eventually gets simplified , made into templates and then over used... but it still starts with an outstanding design.

it's sad. but it's a natural stage for any industry. I wish I had gotten into the industry earlier... then again I don't really know if I'll ever get to be a "web design ninja"but maybe the templates allows us mere mortals to take part in the "revolution" and hopefully learn?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, cyjetsu -- it should take a long time for a software that could replicate human art forms to appear on the market.

As a source of living, I tend to be on your side, folks: web design will not disappear but the individual human form of web design will.

Who can tell me the name of the person who made the web design for apple.com? No one.

As an individual web designer, there is an obtuse future for you, whereas as a web design company, the future is quite open, imho

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think i agree... especially on the Drupal front... Web Design is more important than ever... If you look at the average Drupal site, unfortunately I have to say it looks pretty shoddy... This is because Drupal made design difficult up front.

WordPress is better - but you still will only stand out with a good design.

What I do think is that web design is becomming more technical - you can't get by with just HTML and CSS knowledge - because you do have to know something about how to IMPLEMENT your designs on the actual web platforms of today.

A good web designer - who knows fundamentals - and who also knows say Drupal or WordPress templating... so you can get in and make a site that is good functionally, also look good - is worth his ot her weight in gold.

The other key skill even for designers today is JavaScript... but most designers I run into still spend their time learning Flash... which is valuable, but makes you less relevant to alot of the basic design of most sites...

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, cyjetsu -- it should take a long time for a software that could replicate human art forms to appear on the market.

As a source of living, I tend to be on your side, folks: web design will not disappear but the individual human form of web design will.

Who can tell me the name of the person who made the web design for apple.com? No one.

As an individual web designer, there is an obtuse future for you
    Lol, wrong again.

Jason Santa Maria? Greg Storey? Robert Lindström? Andy Rutledge? Andreas Pihlström? Scott Hansen? Elliot Jay Stocks? Cameron Moll?

(Oh, and if those names don't ring a bell - it just means you've still got a lot to learn.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps not dying but becoming more widely practiced. There is still a ton of great web design out there it's just becoming harder to find through all the noise and mediocrity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I have started to learn Joomla, I don't need to design, to code or...
    I already got my first client this week...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advent of desktop publishing programs for individuals didn't get get rid of the need for professional graphic designers and DIY web programs and templates won't put web designers out of business.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would disagree that web design is dying.
    I'm finding I get redesign jobs, just on the fact that I design from scratch and offer clients some thing that a template would never give - personal input.

So lots of the general public think they can design a web site - have a look at this one http://www.rowborough-hotel.com I have been contacted by the owner to redesign this quite frankly dreadful site although if you turn off the style sheets it looks ok, but if you turn of the images no navigation.

It's like most things "There are those who think they can, and there are those who can".
    It often boils down to costs, people use templates because they think cheap is better, this often works against them because it doesn't give the right image.

We are in a market that has it's problems, all we can do is educate if you want an individual look you choose a designer, if you want to look like the sheep use a template.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's dieing at all. Like someone said before, it's evolving and changing all the time (but then again, when did web design ever NOT do that?!)

Despite how many "ready-made" templates are out there for people to use - and most of these templated will probably end up being slightly edited by the person anyway - there will always be a plentiful supply of people willing to pay someone to take the responsibility of creating a website out of their hands.

Classic example of a similar situation in was in the other day. I went in to see my accountant who is sorting out my end of year accounts for me... now I could (if I really wanted to), learn up about sending off my information to the Inland Revenue and doing it all myself.... but quite frankly, I have neither the time, the patience, nor the willingness to learn about accounts in that depth to be able to put myself a position where I wouldn't need my accountant. I would much rather hand a pile of paperwork over to her, let her worry about and then pay her for a good job done.

Flip that round to a web designer/client relationship and there is a lot of clients that will happily do the same, leaving both parties to get on with the job they are good at.

Now I really need to get back to work to pay off that invoice from that damn accountant of mine!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web design isn't dying, it's maturing. In the early days of any field of endeavor, it doesn't take much, in terms of talent or knowledge, to become proficient. But as the field matures the body of knowledge and techniques that a novice is required to acquire before becoming a master grows.

Look at it another way: You can buy houses now, so therefore carpentry is a dying profession?

The field is changing, true. But if your business model is threatened by the existence of templates, can I suggest without offense that you have the wrong business model? If someone can buy templates that can be readily implemented without your help, with the result rivaling what you produce, then might I again suggest without giving offense that you *really* need to upgrade your skill set?

The bar is always being raised, if we improve ourselves constantly we'll stay ahead of the trend.

But one thing *is* painfully clear. If you're looking for profession that you can serve a brief apprenticeship acquiring skils then spend the rest of your career plying those skills, web design *isn't* the profession for you. The tools are still in flux, even the most fundamental blocks, such as HTML, are changing, and possibly being replaced (Flex, anyone?) so nothing is secure in this field.

The web design boat isn't sinking. It's sailing a choppy sea. Either learn to walk the rapidly rolling deck or stay in your cabin.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion the overall volume of design work has actually increased, there was a time when websites were solely used for business now it has become a necessity for everyone even on a personal level, you will be surprised to know even the florist and grocery store around the corner from your house might have one. I was involved in web design until recently and in the last 2 years I have created, edited and altered more templates than I could have ever imagined. Another observation is the fact that businesses and organizations need multiple domains to deal with different audiences therefore I think web design is on the rise!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    It's not dying, but evolving - advances in technology have made it easy for people to set up a "ready made" site but as others have said there's lot more to it if you want to stand out in the crowd.
    I agree with this. People will always want bespoke design.