SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all, I've just started the php/mysql tutorial - downloaded them both (php 4.0) and installed them. mysql works fine but php isn't happening - when I set up a page using any php code nothing happens. I'm using Win 98, PWS 4.0 and I have downloaded and installed a registry fix that "will go out with php 4.01"

Now I am stuck, as far as I can see all my settings are correct (obviously they're not) and I don't know what to do

So, if any of you kind hearted souls out there would that would be good.

Thanks,

Nathaniel Fitzgerald-Hood

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting PHP working under PWS. If it makes you feel any better, you're certainly not alone in this boat. Here are a few things to make sure of before you give up on PWS:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>You have unzipped the PHP distribution into a directory on your hard disk.
    <LI>You have copied php.ini-optimized to your C:\WINDOWS directory and renamed it php.ini.
    <LI>You have edited this php.ini file so that the doc_root directory is set to your PWS document root directory.
    <LI>You have edited the "registry fix" file so that it correctly refers to the location where you have the PHP files on your system.
    <LI>You have applied the "registry fix" by right clicking and selecting "Merge" from the pop-up menu.
    <LI>You have loaded your PHP page through the PWS Web server (i.e. http://localhost/today.php, not C:\web_root\today.php).
    <LI>You have tried naming your script with .php and .php3 extensions (sometimes only one of these will work).
    </UL>

If the above doesn't help, I'd suggest deinstalling PWS and trying a better server like Sambar. Installation of PHP on this server is much easier! See my forum post on the subject for more details.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU!!! I trashed PWS as my ZERO experience with servers told me to go with the one you said... and I got it all working. Sambar is GREAT, way more stuff to it (that I can actually) use and get experience from - and php is a go too. THANKS HEAPS!!!