SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I know if my sites been hacked ?

I looked at my sites Alexa ranking today and it said 0.5% of my traffic is coming from Romania I don't see why that should be the case as my website has nothing to do with Romania and nothing in it that should be of interest to people from Romania of all countries. Nothing seems to be wrong with my site at the moment there could be hidden links (I don't know how check except for comparing each file with a previous backup... which I haven't done), but even if I'm wrong I just wanted to know how can I find out and what can I do to prevent it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexa is not so clever as you think. Most like 1 man from Romania with Alexa toolbar visited your website.

Most people do not have Alexa toolbar and those who have turn them off when they do regular browsing. But Alexa uses that info to estimate traffic.

If you have root access then you may try to test your server with rkhunter.

IF you do not have root access test if you site has new files. Hacker often upload certain files to control your site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check your raw website access logs to see if you are getting a lot of hack attacks. Those are fairly easy to spot. They're usually done by robots, which I'd imagine don't have the Alexa toolbar installed (!), but maybe there is a determined individual trying to hack you.

However, even if you find you're being attacked, that doesn't mean you're hacked. All sites get attacked eventually, and once it starts, it's never-ending. They can knock on the door, but that doesn't mean they get in.

If your site seems ok and if you're still listed in Google and Yahoo without any warning messages, it's probably fine.

I suspect max7 has the right answer. Alexa estimates the larger amount of total traffic based on the smaller number of people who have the toolbar. If you don't have a ton of traffic, maybe you didn't get many visits from people with the toolbar, except for that one guy in Romania (whether he's a hacker or not) who ends up looking like .5%.