SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKlein View Post
    I disagree. No one is in a position to say exactly what Google's algorithm takes into account
    Matt Cutts is well placed to say exactly what Google do with .edu/.gov links. He famously said they don't get any extra treatment in one of his videos.

  2. #27
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the vid: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37348670651505 (it's towards the end)
    Also on the subject. Search for "gov". I don't know who Stephan Spencer is, is he someone we can trust?

  3. #28
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,600
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

  4. #29
    SitePoint Addict JNKlein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll quote myself again:

    Quote Originally Posted by JNKlein View Post
    The authority of the site linking to you matters, and .gov and .edu TLD sites tend to be more authoritative, since they cannot be registered by just anybody.
    1) It is harder to register a .gov or .edu site. Only institutions that are accredited are able to.

    2) It's a fairly safe bet that .gov and .edu sites are not link farms, spammers, black hats, and so forth.

    3) It's also a fairly safe bet that they are a government institution or university with an extreme amount of authority on what their content is about.

    4) There are far fewer .gov and .edu sites than .com sites on the web.

    therefore...

    If the question is "is a link from a .gov/.edu site worth more?" the answer is "yes", no matter what Matt Cutts says about the technical consideration of the actual TLD extension. SEO is more sophisticated than that.
    I write about making and promoting websites
    worth caring about at my web strategy blog.

    @joshklein on Twitter!

  5. #30
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I believe this to be one of the many SEO myths that are floating around.

    Unless the 'authority' you talk about means that the site has more link weight, it's not relevant from an SEO POV. Visitors to a site can't see where backlinks are coming from, remember...

    People are always saying pretty much what you've just said, but I've never read any definitive proof. Do you have any?
    Qualified by..

    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    Links from .edu and .gov domains are not treated any differently. If the edu page is 'trusted', an 'authority' (whatever they mean) or has high PR - it is those qualities that help the linked page, not the fact the link is from a .edu/.gov domain.

    As far as Google is concerened, Matt Cutts revealed this in one of his videos.

    link to thread
    And as for the vid...

    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    Here's the vid: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37348670651505 (it's towards the end)
    Also on the subject. Search for "gov". I don't know who Stephan Spencer is, is he someone we can trust?
    Cheers, Hoop, saved me looking it up, gonna book mark it for next time this comes up.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKlein View Post
    If the question is "is a link from a .gov/.edu site worth more?" the answer is "yes", no matter what Matt Cutts says about the technical consideration of the actual TLD extension. SEO is more sophisticated than that.
    Exactly. Google's algorithm is far more sophisticated than saying "give more value to edu/gov links". In my book that's a very primitive rule. It doesn't make sense to attribute value to a link simply on the basis of its TLD being edu/gov when Google are already calculating this value for other links using more sophisticated means.

    Whether the 'value' we are talking about is trust, authority or any other SEO value, the algo already calculates it. There is no need to treat TLDs differently

    But we can opine all we like, the only opinion that really matters is the one that comes from the horses mouth.

  7. #32
    SitePoint Addict JNKlein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, what that line should have said was:

    "Is a link from a government institution or university worth more than any random website? Yes."

    Optimizers can spin their wheels worrying about every technical detail they like, but this stuff is straightforward. What's the actionable results of asking such questions?

    - Should I try to get my work cited by a university professor?

    - Should I take advantage of my status as a student to create a useful page to link to my other web properties?

    - Should I attempt to become quoted as an expert by a government agency?

    The answers to these questions is yes, which is why people who ask fairly open-ended questions about "trustworthiness" should be answered as prescriptively as possible. This is what I mean by "it's more sophisticated than that."

    I mean, how many examples can you think of where someone would say to you, "should I get a link from this exact site", and that site is a .edu/.gov page, and you would say "no"?

    Because I can think of plenty .com pages...
    I write about making and promoting websites
    worth caring about at my web strategy blog.

    @joshklein on Twitter!

  8. #33
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an analogy.

    I've created a program that outputs a percentage likelihood for a cage fighter to win his/her death match. It uses such values as age, height, weight, % body fat, how much they can benchpress, speed, agility and how many knockout wins they've had to calculate their chances of winning. These values are all stored in a database for all fighters. You select 2 fighters, push a button and out pops the percentage likelihood for each to win almost instantly.

    Based on experience, you've noticed that Russians have a good track record of winning cage fights. Is it coz they iz Russian? Or is it because the presence of all those winning qualities (height, strength etc) is more prevalent? The question really is, do you give an arbitrary bonus because the fighter is Russian, or is that already taken into account by my program when it considers those winning factors?

    You don' need to score Russians higher because the program assesses all the pertinent factors. Google doesn't need to score edu links higher because it already considers all the pertinent factors.

  9. #34
    SitePoint Addict JNKlein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the condescending hyperbole, but based on your example ... if you had to blindly pick the winner of a fight based on their nationality, wouldn't you take the Russian? And didn't you just admint that Russians tend to be better fighters?

    Because that's exactly what I'm saying about government institutions and universities.
    I write about making and promoting websites
    worth caring about at my web strategy blog.

    @joshklein on Twitter!

  10. #35
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKlein View Post
    I appreciate the condescending hyperbole, but based on your example ... if you had to blindly pick the winner of a fight based on their nationality, wouldn't you take the Russian? And didn't you just admint that Russians tend to be better fighters?

    Because that's exactly what I'm saying about government institutions and universities.
    I wasn't being condescending.

    If I was betting on a fighter to win a cage fight, I'd want to know more than their nationality! But I'd like it to be you that I bet with

  11. #36
    SitePoint Addict JNKlein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    I wasn't being condescending.

    If I was betting on a fighter to win a cage fight, I'd want to know more than their nationality! But I'd like it to be you that I bet with
    I would also want to know more than their nationality, and I would never bet solely on it. OK - so we 100% agree!

    I'm just defending my answer under the auspices of the original poster of the thread, who basically said "I heard Russians were good fighters," to which I responded, "they do tend to be!" OK, now I'm just being silly :P
    I write about making and promoting websites
    worth caring about at my web strategy blog.

    @joshklein on Twitter!

  12. #37
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKlein View Post
    Sorry, what that line should have said was:

    "Is a link from a government institution or university worth more than any random website? Yes."

    Optimizers can spin their wheels worrying about every technical detail they like, but this stuff is straightforward.
    Not to Google it isn't.

    If Matt Cutts has actually said that .edu links don't have some kind of boost, then that's that, argument put to bed, end of, game over and good night Doris. When Google don't want us to know something, they obfuscate and get vague, they don't lie. As Hoop and Hawk have already said, if a .edu link has greater weight than normal then it's because of that particular site, not because of the TLD.

    By the way, I don't think hyperbole means what you thinks it means, Hoop wasn't exaggerating.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •