SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is it to be a 'developer'?

I've been wondering what it is to be a web developer exactly. I'm self taught, and have been plugging away getting to know XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL for the last few years. I've never had any formal computer science training or database knowledge of any kind really. I have a rubbish memory too, which really doesn't help. I've managed to get myself a good enough web developer job working for a company that services entertainment for airlines across the world and carved out a little freelance business on the side that pulls me in an extra bit of cash a month. Got about 20 clients and that...

My point being... I always feel I struggle with remembering all the functions, methods and small details of all these different languages. On top of trying to research new things and learn them too. My brain feels completely full of information!

But to be a developer, should I know these things straight down the line? To be a professional, I should know these things like the back of my hand right? Like I say, been doing this from scratch about 3 years ago, but I still constantly need references to alot of things. Pretty much have XHTML nailed, and I'm really not too bad at CSS, PHP I'm ok at too, but to remember everything seems to want to make my head pop! ... But does that make me less of a developer than anyone else?

Or is a web developer, just a problem solver? With the internet being his toolbox?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's possible to remember everything. As long as you know where to go to find out what you need to know, you're doing OK. Sure, the things you do more often will become routine after a while, but when something comes along that's "new" to you, or the language itself changes a bit, you need to know where and how to get the documention you need to get things working. I think it helps to have at least an awareness of everything, but I wouldn't worry if you're not an expert in every aspect of a given language, as long as you can figure out how to do something when the need arises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thinking about more practice, practice and practice.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of the position I'm in... But I'm one of those 'analysing' types... Cant help it!

I mean... I generally know where to look for the things I need. I know about the different technologies, and with some research, I know how problem solve most things. But I wondered if this makes me more of a 'consultant' type, rather than a straight 'developer'. If that makes sense?

Suppose I just wonder about others... As I know no web developers where I live. I'm the only one in my social network. I went to a "Oxford Geek Night" recently, to try and met other developers... But found out everyone had pretty much jumped the PHP ship and gone on to Ruby or Python. I think my bad memory doesn't help... But I suppose really, in the grand scheme of things, I'm still pretty 'junior' and eventually everything will soon deeply embed itself into my brain!

So is there anyone here who considers themselves a 'expert'? And if so, how long did it take you to get there?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Despite the guru badge, I would never consider myself an expert. I know more than some, and (a lot) less than others. Perhaps if one specializes in a certain area they approach the level of expert, but that's at the expense of other areas. Just trying to keep up with (X)HTML, CSS, ECMA, XML, PHP, Java, Ruby, C, Apache, etc. etc. is a matter of constant continuing education, let alone trying to become an expert in all of them.
    To me it's more important to be professional than it is to be an expert.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true... I want to be seen as a professional and I want people to come to me to get the job done. I should no doubt not worry so much about being an 'expert' in all. I've always been a jack-of-all-trades kind of fellow really...

Thanks man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember to never stop learning new techniques and methods and to stay with the time because the second you stop improving and learning new stuff, the world will leave you behind and it will be very difficult to catch the train...