User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JavaScript Frameworks -- Which is best?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking the time to learn one of the well-known JavaScript Frameworks. Just wondering what everyone's advice is on which one to learn.

It seems that JQuery and Dojo are very popular, for example. I don't necessarily want to get into any complex Ajax stuff right away, just some simple transitions, fades, animations, drag and drops, etc.

Which of the libraries do you think would be most useful in the long run, and will still be relevant a few years down the road?

Thanks for any advice.

Louis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite hard to answer your question directly because it's a bit like asking which is the best leaf on a tree!

Many of the libraries essentially do the same thing. They all offer quick and easy ways to access complex methods. For example, jQuery is very DOM focused but does offer some neat Ajax functionality and some sweet stock animations (as well as letting you customize animations), all easily accessible through the dollar namespace (e.g. $('div').fadeOut('slow')). I've used MooTools a couple of times but to be honest it seems quite bloated to me and the way it works get's a lot of getting used to. - I cannot think of anything MooTools can do that jQuery can't although in the end it's all JavaScript so anything is possible. I don't have any experience with Dojo and probably won't look into it in the future (because I have no need to). There are plenty of others, the more common are Prototype, Spry (for ajax), YUI and Scriptaculuos (which normally works in conjunction with Prototype). So to be honest it is a minefield!!!

For me, if a particular project requires a lot of JavaScript enhancements then I either use jQuery or I create my own methods. It's really a matter of taste. jQuery is uncomplicated and very intuitive so it allows me to get on with the rest of the project instead of getting pulled back by timely restraints.

If you do use jQuery please remember not to get carried away because trust me, it is very easy to!

If you know JavaScript to a reasonable extent then I think learning a library would be a good idea. jQuery isn't hard to learn at all, it just takes a bit of time to remember the various method names and properties etc.

I haven't really answered your question - there is no "best" JavaScript framework... They are all suited to different things.
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jimmy, that was helpful. I was leaning towards JQuery, and now I'm leaning more towards it. I'll continue looking into it and hopefully others will post.

I also realized there was a "sticky" post at the top of the JS forum that is about frameworks -- so I'll have to check that out too, however, it doesn't look like there is a lot of material there, from my quick scan of it.

Louis