User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Antivirus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Antivirus

Do you know or have suggestion to what best antivirus you know and using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, the best isn't the most non-intrusive. Norton hands down in my book is the best anti-virus, but it can drive me insane sometimes.

SitePoint Enthusiast graphical_force's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for free, avg it good. Avast is another.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah AVG and Avast are both great free options.

If you don't mind paying, then I am very happy with Kaspersky at the moment (which I actually got free from my bank).
    I personally can't stand Norton - it has only served to slow down every computer I have seen it on. It may stop viruses well, but it also takes up a lot, and I mean a lot, or resources.

-Tim

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Personally, the best isn't the most non-intrusive. Norton hands down in my book is the best anti-virus, but it can drive me insane sometimes.
    I left Norton for AVG some 4 years ago for that exact reason.

My basic philosophy is that I buy computers for me to use, not to have a useless box that runs an anti-virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Avast installed at the workstation and I'm pretty happy with it. It can take time getting used to the UI however.
    David Shamloo-Ekblad

Go Habs! | For music addicts: Last.fm, SongMeanings

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's hard to define "best antivirus"...yes, there are a lot of programs and there are lots of different rankings. So, you gotta ask yourself: how come that one AV solution (e.g. Norton) is ranked #1 on some rankings and is doing really bad in other rankings? Well, I guess it's due to the fact that many pc mags (etc) are biased and their methods of testing aren't really comparable. So the end-user is stuck with deciding which way to go.

As you mentioned Norton: I gotta say I was a norton av user for years, but I stopped using it. Why? Because with every new version it became slower and more resource-intensive (e.g. memory hog, cpu hog) so I stopped using it. As I had professional experience with McAfee (DaimlerChrysler Germany used it on all client pcs) I switched to that for a while. After that I switched to NOD32 (which is IMHO the fastest and best AV solution around) and stuck with it...on another note: I still use AVG's free edition on some of my pcs and a lot of clients' pcs because it's a good free option, especially for PCs that aren't critical (e.g. home surfing machine), especially if the owner doesn't want to spend a (yearly) fee for the license...

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal View Post
    Well, it's hard to define "best antivirus"...yes, there are a lot of programs and there are lots of different rankings. So, you gotta ask yourself: how come that one AV solution (e.g. Norton) is ranked #1 on some rankings and is doing really bad in other rankings? Well, I guess it's due to the fact that many pc mags (etc) are biased and their methods of testing aren't really comparable. So the end-user is stuck with deciding which way to go.

As you mentioned Norton: I gotta say I was a norton av user for years, but I stopped using it. Why? Because with every new version it became slower and more resource-intensive (e.g. memory hog, cpu hog) so I stopped using it. As I had professional experience with McAfee (DaimlerChrysler Germany used it on all client pcs) I switched to that for a while. After that I switched to NOD32 (which is IMHO the fastest and best AV solution around) and stuck with it...on another note: I still use AVG's free edition on some of my pcs and a lot of clients' pcs because it's a good free option, especially for PCs that aren't critical (e.g. home surfing machine), especially if the owner doesn't want to spend a (yearly) fee for the license...

Ingo
    Many good out there but i feel i need to say that the best for one person doesn't have to be the best for the others..

after what i have experienced over the years it can really depends on the use of the computer (as you mention above).

I have tried many over the years, but security and stability is very important for me so i have desided to live with the cpu/memory hog of norton.
    for my own system and my use, norton is the best.

on my son's computers, which is mostly used for heavy gaming, norton can take too much power so there i have installed NOD32. which is in my opinion the best for his kind of computer use.
    For a friend of mine which is at school at the university and on a budget, i suggested the free AVG as i feel that will be the best for him.. so as i said, i feel it really boils down to your use.. if you visit certain "unsecure" sites you may be better with one type, and if you download a lot of stuff you may go with another and if you need much power you may select a different one...etc

you may need to define your use, then deside what you'll go with...

well, it's my opinion....
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need a free antivirus: Avast FTW

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All the magazine reviews I see state that NOD32 and Kapersky are the best antivirus programs. Apparently none of the others comes remotely close in the level of protection provided. Those two regularly detect over 99.9% in all the tests while all the others tested rarely detect over 99%. Both of these are programs you have to buy so if you are after a free alternative you will not get such good protection.

I know of a number of people who have tried Norton security suite and it has provided them with 100% protection from viruses on the internet by blocking their internet access completely. The anti-virus part does work by itself but provides a lower level of protection than most of the free alternatives.

As for the free ones - Avast requires that you register your free copy with them, Avira displays an ad on your screen each time it searches for updates and AVG now will not let you just install the antivirus part - you have to install the entire security suite (so if antivirus is all you need because you already have the rest covered with some of the many better programs available then that one isn't an option).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Kaspersky and would recommend that to anyone...
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    I know of a number of people who have tried Norton security suite and it has provided them with 100% protection from viruses on the internet by blocking their internet access completely.

I know some people who are afraid of the internet and don't even have a computer because of this.

there are many types of users and some are more experienced than others. in NIS you can block what app you want, and you can block or limit protocols and ip's. Now if you block everything you can't make a connection to the internet, but if you do this, you probably don't know whats happening or you are extremly paranoid and should not have a computer anyway hahaha

as far as i know, many people has moved away from norton because of memory/cpu hog and/or... because they didn't know enough to make a good use of it... (didn't know what to allow and what to not in the rules)

in my opinion NOD32 is a very good app, but i would never have used it if i didn't think it was

i do not care to much what magazines and other people say about antivirus or firewalls. I have tested it myself to see.
    I have "dangerous" scripts, snippets and code and over 18 mb with worms, viruses and other malware isolated here and on cd's to test these programs with, if needed to see how they act and what they do. after all, these things are only "dangerous" when you don't understand it and realizes it's only small apps, and nothing more. but they can be annoying anyway.

on my network i have 7 computers and i only use norton and NOD32 on them. but of course, i can only speak from my own experience here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the free avast home edition which is better when compared to other free versions in protecting your machines against viruses.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    there are many types of users and some are more experienced than others. in NIS you can block what app you want, and you can block or limit protocols and ip's. Now if you block everything you can't make a connection to the internet, but if you do this, you probably don't know whats happening or you are extremly paranoid and should not have a computer anyway hahaha
    These were people who had just installed it with the default settings. They ended up with the entire internet blocked by default and insufficient experience in computers to know how to change the settings. You would expect the default settings to be more user friendly to newbies.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before I'm using AVG but now I switch to Avira Anti virus. so far it is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post What is the best antivirus based on your experience?

I finally rid my home system of a nasty virus and along the way found out that a lot of antivirus programs today aren稚 effective. I had in particular the silly dc virus which attached and transferred itself on all my drives and computers. I have been using Norton for all these years but it couldn稚 remove it from my system. I tried most antiviruses out there including avg, Trendmicro, mcafee etc.. In the end the only antivirus that was able to discover and successfully flush out the virus was zone alarm. I am just wondering if any of you have had any real virus experiences and have found any program in particular that worked for you. I hope this post helps others who have virus problems as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Kaspersky - I use it and it's great! ... Plus apprently it has the highest catch rate of all popular antiV programs.
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Norton, Mcafee and AVG, all three, currently I am using AVG and I found this AV great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using AVG and I found it well... but if you want to use an antivirus in enterprise environment, then go for Norton or Mcafee enterprise edition.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    These were people who had just installed it with the default settings. They ended up with the entire internet blocked by default and insufficient experience in computers to know how to change the settings. You would expect the default settings to be more user friendly to newbies.
    hmmm.... something must have gone wrong with the trusted application list or they accidentely disabled the connection..maybe...

but I agree with you, NIS can be hard for newbies. i have also had some support with experienced users, so there are things with it some people find difficult...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like nod32 v.3xxx i think best antivirus

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used McAfee for years. It has always kept me protected. However, I also use along with it a program called Spy Sweeper by Webroot that scans and protects me from 99.9&#37; of spyware. With the two working together my PC stays reasonably secure but of course you need a good Firewall too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many antivirus softwares are available today. Grisoft AVG Free Edition 7.1, Norton Antivirus, Kaspersky Antivirus, Avast 4 home free Edition etc are some of the top rated antiviruses. But i use Avast 4 home free Edition in my system. Avast 4 Home Edition is free anitvirus software. It is designed exclusively for non-commercial and home use only.It is possible to avoid global virus spreading by efficient prevention.
    Bindu Jaisankar

SitePoint Enthusiast terrence01's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a low memory consumption,, I suggest you should use Norton Antivirus, avira or avg..

Nod32 and Kaspersky really are the bests antivus I have ever used... just that, memory consumption is quite high...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using AVG free edition. It is the well-known free antivirus software and good home computer users. AVG Free is easy to use and will not slow your system down. This software provides the bare necessities, including a real-time shield to prevent infections, anti-virus and anti-malware wrapped up in one engine, and a link scanner for Web surfing with care.
    Jaibin