SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a WP blog with all "pages" still a blog?

I've created an unusual blog - it has no daily "posts" ...every page is, well, as WP calls it, a "page". Each page goes into longish detail about a single topic, and takes longer to write than a typical daily blog post. Each "page" does not have a date.

In order to make it work, I created a homepage which is essentially static html, and has a list of links that goes to each page (I add each link manually as I create new pages)

But does a WP blog that consists of all non-dated "pages" really fit the definition of a blog? Is it considered a blog, even though I'm using WP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, this would be considered using Wordpress as a CMS (Content Management System) which is a great idea and I do it with quite a few sites.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ssandecki's right (for the most part). It'd basically be a content management system, which WordPress is perfectly suited for use as.

Just bear in mind though that if your front page content is not in the database WordPress uses, it will not be considered part of the system when you use the built in site search feature.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks. I had never thought of it as being a CMS.

Can anyone point to any good websites that's using WP as a CMS as I'm describing (the homepage as a "quasi-static" link-listing of the "pages" underneath)

And what is the key to making WP behave like a CMS? Is there 1 or 2 popular plugins? Or is it a theme?

(I'm now also researching WP CMS on Google, but I thought I'd ask here too)

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It pretty much acts like one right out of the box; you just need to set up your Pages and Posts a certain way and modify your Theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shameless self promotion

Have a look at the "Simple CMS theme" in my forum signature. It does exactly what you are trying to achieve (and it's free). It is essentially just a WordPress theme with all the of extraneous junk which isn't necessary for using your site as a basic pages only CMS removed. I made it so that developers have a cleaner, simpler system to build their sites from. It looks ugly, but hopefully the basic skeletal design will be useful.

There is also a link to "Simple CMS plugin" in my signature. This removes the 'blog' stuff from your admin panel. However, since I made that plugin, some others (WP Lite is one of them) have copied the idea and created their own plugins which have the same functionality. These other plugins have more functionality unfortunately so you may be better off downloading one of those instead of mine. As I write this, I'm contemplating whether I should drop support for my current plugin and direct users over to one of the other equivalent plugins ...

If anyone tries some of these alternative admin panel plugins, I'd be keen to hear which one works best so I know where to direct people to. I've tried WP Lite which seems to work quite well, but there may be others which work even better. I have little motivation to try since I tend to just customise my own plugin to suit whatever situation I need it for.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much appreciated! I was already messing around with the Themes I've already got (including the WP default) but no luck so far... but I'll keep trying.

I found this page with lots of links of examples:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Matt/WP_as_CMS

And here's 3 in particular similar to what I'm trying to do. Think of each as a homepage. Notice that for each "page" there's a 1 or 2 sentence teaser followed by some kind of "read more" link to that "page". This is what I'm trying to get. Without any publishing dates.

http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/
    http://www.moo.com/ (scroll down below the stuff up top)
    http://www.scanningsystems.com.au/solutions/grocery/

Anyone here do a WP-CMS site with the homepage like that?
    What might be the best plugin/theme to get near to that?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, here's another:

http://www.zestadventures.com/

It seems like what I'm looking for is a way to fill the homepage with a series of teasers (preferably each with a small photo like what zestadventures is doing) each with a "read more" link to its own separate article on a "page". Any suggestions?

Edit: yet another: http://www.zlok.net/
    They do logos. The homepage is a list of thumbs, each linking to a WP page with the fill-sized logo graphic.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To display excerpts of pages on your index page, you'll have to get a bit into PHP. WordPress does not do that out-of-the-box. You can either build a custom query to loop through pages, or you can use a plugin.

For what you describe, you could use a plugin like this one. Alternatively, there are quite a few plugins that do different things. The nice thing about the plugin I linked to is that you can display child pages as well as have them display an excerpt of your page or the full content.

You can leave the index.php page intact and instead define a Page as your homepage/front page in your WordPress settings.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't neccessarily have to be excerpts that are being pulled from the page.. I'd be OK with writing a separate teaser that describes the page, followed by a "read more" link...

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
    It doesn't neccessarily have to be excerpts that are being pulled from the page.. I'd be OK with writing a separate teaser that describes the page, followed by a "read more" link...
    You can do that as well by utilizing custom fields, though I'm not sure why you'd want that as it seems a lot more convenient to use excerpts. And you can include the "read more" function as well.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seabiscuit - it sounds like all you want to do is have your posts displayed as excerpts on your home page. You would write a blog post, then an excerpt from that would be displayed on your home page. Or is there some reason you need to do this via WP Pages? WP Pages and WP Posts are effectively the same thing, except WP Pages are not designed to be used as blog posts, they're seperate from the main blogging functionality of the site.

The excerpt functionality is built into WordPress. You just need to change the code which generates the post on your home page from 'the_content' to 'the_excerpt'. If you don't specify an excerpt on the posts page in your admin panel, then one will be made automatically from the first bunch of words in your post. There is no built in way to grab excerpts from WP Pages since this would normally not serve any purpose since that's not what WP Pages are designed for.

Hopefully that made sense ...

EDIT: I think all of the examples you gave above use the method I am suggesting. In particular, you may notice that there are WP logins at http://www.zlok.net/blog/wp-login.php and http://www.zlok.net/wp-login.php. Presumably the reason there are two login URL's is because they are running two WP installs for the one site. One WP install will be powering the home page posts, whereas another will be powering the blog. This allows them to use two different permalink setups for each set of posts. You may be able to get around this by setting the permalinks by hand in the edit post page, but I'm not sure how much control you have over the URL's there (I've never needed to do this so haven't tried).

EDIT 2: Both my "Simple CMS" plugin and theme are useless for this task. Both are intentionally designed not to be able to do this.

SitePoint Enthusiast MrNiceGuy007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reading all pages is not friendly at all, having them in categories is better
    we are an effective seo services provider helping small business

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Here's what I did for now... under Settings > Reading Settings ... I selected "Front Page Displays" and the radio button for "A Static Page" and then manually created a main "Page" with the Title and excerpt that links to each sub-page. For now, this is at least better than the static home page I was using because I can at least now have the Search functionality.

Ryan, if I could ask, where in the WP admin functions is it that you can switch 'the_content' to 'the_excerpt' ? (I'm having trouble finding it)

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabiscuit
    Ryan, if I could ask, where in the WP admin functions is it that you can switch 'the_content' to 'the_excerpt' ? (I'm having trouble finding it)
    This is a change you make in your theme files, not a setting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy007 View Post
    reading all pages is not friendly at all, having them in categories is better
    You can't place WP Pages in categories. WP Posts go in categories, WP Pages are separate.

... under Settings > Reading Settings ... I selected "Front Page Displays" and the radio button for "A Static Page" and then manually created a main "Page" with the Title and excerpt that links to each sub-page.
    The sites you linked to presumably have their blog posts posted on their front page, not a static page. You can do it with a static page, but most themes require some substantial modification to do that. The advantage of displaying your posts on a static home page is that you can edit the static content easily via your admin panel, while also displaying the posts.

Like he ^ said.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind linking the homepage?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is just like yours it's wordpress blog and I have a main page which have links and short description to every post .....
    Last edited by r937; Sep 10, 2008 at 20:23.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site, prosense.