SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Printing a site

  1. #1
    derrrp
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Printing a site

    Hi all,

    I have a client that is throwing a fit because when they try to print out their site, background images do not show up on the printout.

    Don't browsers have that setting?

    Now, this brings up a question. Websites, and all their graphical glory, are meant to be viewed on screen, not printed out to be shown correct?

    Is my perspective on that off? Granted, a printable version made with CSS is a normal thing, but don't those usually omit graphics?

    I'm trying to come up with an explanation on how moot a point this is that they've brought up in the overall scheme of finishing their site.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crowden View Post
    Don't browsers have that setting?
    I don't know if all browsers do, but Opera does.

    Quote Originally Posted by crowden View Post
    Now, this brings up a question. Websites, and all their graphical glory, are meant to be viewed on screen, not printed out to be shown correct?
    I disagree that websites are meant to be viewed only on screen, but the graphic design elements probably are. I think most users are loath to waste printer ink on what really amounts to bells and whistles.

    Quote Originally Posted by crowden View Post
    Is my perspective on that off? Granted, a printable version made with CSS is a normal thing, but don't those usually omit graphics?
    Mine do, and I think it's the most common. I'll also make sure I only use black or shades of grey for everything in a print style sheet.

    Quote Originally Posted by crowden View Post
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe that when people print out a web page, they generally do so because of the information contained therein, not because they want to savour the visual appearance. If they do, they can use the PrintScreen button.

    The main purpose of a print style sheet is to remove everything that is unnecessary: colours, backgrounds, menus, buttons, etc. In modern browsers you can also use generated content, e.g., to print out the URIs of external links etc.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  3. #3
    derrrp
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    I believe that when people print out a web page, they generally do so because of the information contained therein, not because they want to savour the visual appearance. If they do, they can use the PrintScreen button.
    Thank you for the reply.

    In this case they just want savor the visual appearance...and that means everything on the page. So, PrintScreen wouldn't work since it only prints out the visible area, correct?

    These people have the weirdest expectations IMO.
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can use PrintScreen several times and paste the images together.

    I don't doubt that they want to preserve the visual appearance, but do their visitors have the same wish? Or is your client in the printer ink business perhaps?
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  5. #5
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sparks, NV, USA
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox has an option of Print Background (colors & images) under Page Setup.
    I don't see anything for IE, but I am still stuck at version 6 at work (and don't run Windows at home).

  6. #6
    . shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    9,013
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperlock View Post
    I don't see anything for IE, but I am still stuck at version 6 at work (and don't run Windows at home).
    Is in the Advance tab way near the bottom forgotten and lost to dust.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •