SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally managed to get these downloaded but I cannot use them. I managed to once open mySQL up and was told by a site to enter an admin password, I think the command was mysqladmin -u root password "password" and then eventually got this after entering ; and the end of this command. I got an 1064 error or something and couldn't do anything. The problem with PHP is similar, it gives me a long list of registry corrections to make, the first one being in a directory that I do not have.
    I belive this may all be easier in Linus or Unix but don't understand these either! Any help on getting any of these sorted much appreciated, I am completely clueless about this, I do know Basic, Asic and HTML, but thats about it.
    For those interested I want to use the Databasing work on a site for a gaming clan for updating rosters and allowing people without site access to post news to the site.

Thanks anyone

James

------------------
    You think you know nothing? You haven't met me yet :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>I managed to once open mySQL up and was told by a site to enter an admin password, I think the command was mysqladmin -u root password "password" and then eventually got this after entering ; and the end of this command.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "mysqladmin" command for changing the admin password should be entered on your MS-DOS command line, not on the mysql&gt; command line. "mysqladmin" is a program you run to perform administrative tasks (such as changing the MySQL admin password), and is completely separate from the "mysql" program you run to connect to the MySQL server and issue commands.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>The problem with PHP is similar, it gives me a long list of registry corrections to make, the first one being in a directory that I do not have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The steps involved in configuring and installing PHP really depend on what Web server you choose to use it with. Many people have reported problems getting PHP working with Personal Web Server (PWS) because of the changes to the Windows registry required.

Let me suggest deinstalling PWS and trying a better Web server like Sambar. Instructions for installing PHP 4.0 on Sambar are provided here:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/Forum4/HTML/000763.html

Good luck, and let me know if you have any further difficulties!

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, I'll give PHP a go tomorrow (after 80 diconnections from my ISP in just a few hours this is getting hard)

One question about mysql, I just tried that and got closer, however it tells me that the program cannot be run in DOS mode?

C:\mysql\bin mysqladmin -u root password "testing"

This program cannot be run in DOS mode

Any clue how this came about? Its set on prevent MSDOS programs from detecting windows.

Thanks again for helping this poor inexperienced newbie!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MySQL programs are Windows programs that just happen to be made to run from the Windows MS-DOS Prompt. You should be able to run them with the default MS-DOS Prompt settings (i.e. UNCHECK "Prevent MS-DOS Programs from detecting Windows").

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are still having problems use the included client program, the graphical one. It is fairly confusing but hopefully it will get past the DOS problems you are having.
    C:\mysql\bin\MySqlManager.exe is where the client is located.