User Tag List

Thread: Why Design?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Design?

The problem i'm having...

I am just starting out with the whole design thing...

I have designed a few layouts for several clients in the last few months and I have had a problem with some of the clients approvals of my work.
    Now some of the designs are commented on as great and what not and my co-workers think they are good as well. But I have had some clients who like the work but would like to make changes to the layout.

Some of these changes are CRAZY!? I've had clients with NO artistic nose on them at all change these websites to things that are.. well... HORRIBLE!

Anyone else have this problem? I mean, it makes me feel cheap, and personally, sometimes I don't even want to put my name on it... its kind of embarrassing sometimes with what they come up with...

thanks

NickBurd.Com

Check out my site, give me a shout
    and let me know what you think.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    They are paying you for your expertize in this area. If you feel that they are making a bad mistake then tell them, and back it up with information about how it will affect their bottom line.

You don't have to accept the work that they give you. If you don't want your name associated with what they're asking, you can always say no.

This article should be of some use too.
    Say why instead of no to bad design
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clients pay a downpayment toward the work that they are getting done. After this first payment is made, that is when I start the design work. Until I make the first design draft that is when I notice that these clients have a horrible design taste.

They are so insistant that what they want done to the design looks good and is what people will like. I have done a few that were like that. I do what they ask, then they say they had a different idea, but then their idea looks like someone drew a face on a cardboard box with a crayola marker and left it in the rain and the ink ran.. Its horrible.

I don't know. Sometimes it just doesn't turn out visually appealing, and I end up having my name on something that doesn't look so great. thats all.

NickBurd.Com

Check out my site, give me a shout
    and let me know what you think.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your best to uphold your moral duty to the world's eyes and minds. If that doesn't work, give them what they want and leave your name off it.