SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Submit from child to parent window not working

Hey guys,

I have a script that opens a popup window (that runs through a wizard) and I need the final page to close the child and target the parent. Sounds easy enough, but it's not working in Netscape6.x.

I named my parent (window.name = 'main' and I target it in the child. This works fine in IE and NS4, but doesn't work in NS6. Is this not a W3C compliant solution and therefore not supported by NS6?

Can anyone think of a way to target window.opener or maybe use some other DOM method to get my child form to target its parent in NS6?

Someone will have a solution. I can feel it
    Thanks,

--Viral
    A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To refer back to the parent window you would use the "opener" property. For instance if you want to run a function in the parent window from the child you would do this:
    opener.func_name()

or to populate a form field:
    opener.document.form_name.field_name.value="some Value"

or a variable:
    opener.variable_name="some value"

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, requestcode. I understand how to access and change DOM objects from the opener. Neither of these do me any good in my current problem, though.

I need to be able to submit a form from the child to the parent. You can't specify <FORM TARGET="window.opener"> that's mixing metaphors, so to speak Again, this should be solved by giving the parent a name and targetting that name. In further testing, I'm getting mixed results. Sometimes it works in NS6, sometimes it doesn't. I need to try to identify what causes it not to work occassionaly, and fix that.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    thanks,
    --Viral
    A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Just a suggestion

I kow that tis post was put up some time ago and you probably found a solution. However here is my two cents.

Why cant you call a function on the parent form that will submit the parent form (pass any variables you want to the parent through function) then close the child form.

Doesnt this achive the result you want ?