SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking to design a web site at present. I am however, finding difficulty finding out how to design a system whereby each customer for the business has to enter a username and related password to gain access to the site.

I would like the appearence of the login page to be similar to hotmail.com, where the username and password are entered on/within the homepage.

It has been suggested to me that i need to use CGI scripts or perhaps javascript to design such a system, is this true?

Can such scripts be found pre-written on the Internet? If not, where is it best to learn about this? CAN I GET ANY WYSIWYG SOFTWARE TO AID ME? Will Macromedia, Drumbeat 2000 ASP version be able to do this?

What services would a host (server) need to offer me so that the site would function as it should?

I look forward to a response and hope that my confusion can be cleared as regards this matter...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all you'll need a server-side solution. Javascript is a client-side scripting language so it can't read files on the server or perform advanced functions like PHP, Perl, VBscript, etc.

There are plenty of scripts that can offer simple login features. Check at www.aspin.com , www.cgi-resources.com , and www.php.net for premade scripts.